How I Spent My Weekend

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
What did y'all do for the Holiday? Rather than fight the crowds on the lake or river, I decided to stay home and spend some family time. Got a load of "honey-do's" outta the way, wash and waxed 3......yes 3, black vehicles :angry: Cleaned the Koi pond, planted, got the inside plants outside for the summer, yard work caught up and I am preparing for the summer run. Daughter going to camp, wife and daughter going to Kansas City, BPS luncheon for the new Richmond store, Wounded Soldiers Tournament, St. Jude tournament, and hopefully some guide business. I needed some down time after St. Clair!! I have to take the boat in for a little work on my shift cable, and I need to do the LU oil change. And I dropped to a knee today in remembrance of our servicemen and women.

TOXIC

Friday - fishing with a friend / coworker on Chickahominy. Only caught two fish - both were catfish though! One on a crankbait, the other on a Sweet Beaver. During the course of the day, my outboard started misbehaving - problems with my trim/tilt kept making the motor come out of the water. Pulled the relays, got on plane and plowed water the rest of the day until we got back to the ramp. Replaced both relays... problem still existed. Picked up my new (replacement) passenger console.

Saturday - gonna troubleshoot the problem. Problem was... it disappeared, and never came back. Decided to replace the passenger console. Took all day. Plenty of "modifications" had to be done to make it fit. :angry: Got fiberglass shards all over my left forearm and a couple of fingers.

Sunday - back out on the water to test the boat / do some fishing. Caught one right away on a swim-bait. Last bite of the day. Engine behaved all day long. Pulled off the water and gave her a good bath / shineup with BBS. Got home. In-Laws invited me to a cookout at their friends house. I passed. Glad I did - FIL came home and puked all night (Food poisoning? He didn't drink much at all).

Monday - FIL still sick. I was planning on going to a cookout at my friends house (the one who went to Chick with me on Friday), but my FIL was supposed to take my MIL to the train station this afternoon... so I cancelled the bbq and I'll be bringing her to the train station in Newport News / Hampton this afternoon...

... wondering if BPS is opened today??? :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Been a busy weekend for me as well. I finally moved all the crap out of a storage building I've been paying rent on for nine months. About half of it went into the trash bin or to charity. Now, there's another $85 a month I can donate to the oil company executives retirement fund.:angry:

Took the boys Honda to Sam's for a new set of tires. Amazing how they can slap on four new tires in less time than I can suck down a Jersey Mike's sub.:rolleyes:

Changed the oil on the truck.... but you know about that.:rolleyes:

Well, a friend and I fished all day on Saturday using his jon boat and had a good time, but only boated 3 small spotted bass, but it was nice to get out. Yesterday I did yard work and some caulking work on the front steps and sidewalk. Over the winter I guess some water got into some cracks on the front steps (which is made of bricks & 20 yrs old) and caused some mortar and 4 bricks to come loose. So I went to Lowe's and got 2 tubes of mortar repair caulk and fixed the joints. Oh, prior to that, I had already glued, yes glued, the loose bricks back into place using Gorilla Glue. It works well! After that I added some caulk along the front sidewalk where it meets the house brick (about an 8' length). Water could get between the house and sidewalk and eventually cause some problems, so I thought I'd try to prevent any future problems. As far as yard work, did the mowing, then started weed-eating. Just about had the ditch done and ran out of gas. Went to the garage to re-fuel, got that done and noticed I was out of string on the weed-eater. Called it quits and went and sat down and had a cold beer. Raining right now, with forecast of severe storms today. So much for cooking-out today :(

Friday spent the day from thursday on an airplane (20 something hourse) to get to Norway

Saturday and Sunday due to availabilty of flights into Porsanger (Laksselv) we were on deck Friday nightm so, SAturday and Sunday spent some quality time looking at the locakl wildlfie in the are.

Spent some time thinking of the folks defending our freedom that are forward deployed.

Had some really good local wine with dinner, it is 2200 (about) time for bed

Semper Fi fellas

wish i could have helped toxic, but i was busy fishing all weekend, damn priorities.

mike c

p.s. anna was a zoo this weekend according to a friend that tried to go fishing.

Had some friends come up from Houston for the weekend. They go here Friday afternoon, about 2 hours before my plane landed - so I was the last 'in the house'. Went out Saturday morning, but didn't rush it.

Went downlake to an area that would offer some protection from the winds, and also an area whereby the crappie and bass get in the feeding. Figured I'd just do some crappie fishing for awhile. Took my spinning rod with a pink maribou jig on it and pulled a 2lb LM out on the first cast!

Hooked what looked to be a very good crappie, but got broke off when my line got caught in a freestanding 4 x 4 (looks to be an unfinished fishing pier area). Fished for awhile and then went uplake to do some LM fishing.

New area for me. Fished a spinnerbait for a bit, and then went for the Rage Tail Shad (strike king). Really have been bit fairly frequently on it, so thought maybe I could find some bass up shallow still feeding. It was about 11:00AM, broken clouds and a 5-7 mph wind (so it offered some chop on the surface).

Missed two smaller fish (one tried to take it right at the boat); and then Momma decided she wanted it all. Slammed it on the surface and I got a real good hook up. No camera or pic's, but she went around 4.5-5lbs. Really nice fish.

Went back out on Sunday, but the fishing was real slow. Decided to go to the main bridge and fish for crappie. Couldn't raise a bite. Talked to an older fellow (Percy), that was fishing the two center pilings of each cross support. Said that fishing was very slow. Watched him throw back one smaller crappie, but land a nice one. Kept talking to him, and not only did he provide some good tips - but wanted to know if we wanted what he had caught.

I tried to defer, simply because if he only had 3-4 fish, didn't think that would be enough for us and our guests. He insisted, so we watched as he took 18 slabs out of his livewell, put them in a net and handed them over! Then he proceeds to throw a small envelope over on my deck with three of the 'hand tied' jigs he uses. Along with showing us his rig (using two jigs), and tells us the depth he generally fishes! Turns out he fishes almost daily, and generally get's his limit in 45 minutes or so.

What a trip! Really nice guy. Hope that I run into him again, so that I can thank him once more and talk to him some more.

Had a great fish fry, and friends left for Houston several hours ago. Very nice memorial day weekend.

Only disappointment is that my flagpole broke, and I'm not able to display my flag properly today. Should have it fixed in a couple of days though.

Tex

Which wounded soldiers tournament are you fishing Toxic? Anyone fishing the one here in Michigan?

Spent two days fishing on the River for walleye. Saturday yielded around 100 white bass. Sunday, only around 30. Not one walleye. The kid had a blast though! :huh:

Got a bit of the best of both worlds. Went fishing early Saturday on the hot side - hung with family and friends later on. Took the wife and son out fishing Sunday and later again on Monday morning.

Boat traffic wasn't too bad. Took a couple of hours to get the pattern figured out, but after that, I was hitting them pretty regularly around docks using a t-rigged ribbon-tailed worm with bulleted weight. As usual with the hot side - lots of numbers, no real lunkers, but still fun! Here's a couple of pics...

0524081138a.jpg

0524081140.jpg

I usually go to D.C. to see some people I know but decided to skip it this year. So I spent the last two days cleaning up a boat. Yep, I went out into the yard and there was a big pile of blue something out there. I lifted the blue stuff up and was totally amazed to find a darn boat under it.:rolleyes::eek: And it was a Bass Boat too! Sooo, I figured I might as well clean it and see what's what.:eek:z What was up was a LOT of work to do but I've been on it for two days now and it's starting to look a little better. Of course I'm even more of a physical mess but a little at a time and I'll get it all done.

Then maybe it can see some water?

Uncle Billy

Jim,

I notice your catch rates are going up and up, you are getting better at zero'ing in on them and pattern fishing!! That's neat!!

TOXIC

Thanks guys! A lot of learning is just from reading all of your experiences and heeding your guidance and tips (for which I am extremely grateful!). After that, its playing around with rigs and set-ups trying what's worked for you all and finding my own "style" and finesse (aka getting through my thick skull the proper technique you all so expertly know already!). For example, I finally "get" what Tox means when he refers to the "feel" of a senko being inhaled by a bass. I also know that when Bill in VA names a color that works, he ain't kidding around!

Oh, and the boat definitely helps! Because while you can't fish going 64mph (my new personal best on the G3 going from canal 2 to dike 1), you can cover a lot more ground from fishing spot to fishing spot in a single morning!

As usual with the hot side - lots of numbers, no real lunkers, but still fun! Here's a couple of pics...

Jim,

Where I normally fish (small electric-only lakes) those would be considered lunkers. Nice catchin' ! :cool:

Spent Friday working. Spent Saturday working and then watching the kids at their first horse show of the year. Sunday went to a picnic with family and then to work all night and most of Monday! Coached the boys in baseball last night and won teir first game for the year!!

Tim

Back