What I've learned from fishing tournaments this season...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Fished 10 weekly club tournaments so far this season...

The most important thing I've learned?

There is NO substitute for doing your homework ON THE WATER.

These are the same lakes/river that we fish each year, but I've done MUCH better this year than last. The difference is that I'm spending more time on the water preparing this year. I'm not just assuming that the fish will be in the same 'honey holes' as last year...most are NOT. Not sure about where you live, but last summer was cold and wet here...this summer is the exact opposite - HOT and dry...Hardly any of the fish I'm catching are coming from locations I fished last year. Many of the spots where I've caught winning fish and good quantities of fish are spots that I had never fished until the week before the tournament...and none of these spots were 'told' to me...me and my son found them...some of the spots we have 'lucked' into...The most recent tourny we won was on the river here - targeting smallies. We fished a small channel behind an island during practice...caught one dink...on the way out of the channel we ran aground on a sand-bar...1 foot deep water...while surmizing our situation, my son spotted a fish hitting the surface near by. He casted his "KVD inspired" jerkbait to the swirl and the fish hit, but he missed it...next cast he caught it...almost 3lbs...on his next cast another keeper...and a few minutes later I landed a keeper on a tube...we would never had thought to try this spot due to the skinny water...but upon returning to it for the tourney, we boated 2 of our 3 keepers there.

So...get out there and try new water...even if you think you already "know" the best spot(s) on the lake...chances are you will find places that are even better!

There is NO substitute for TIME SPENT ON THE WATER!

sink some steel!

az

So true....

BUt I blew that thoery last night....

Was asked to sub for a CATT Thursday Night tourney by the Tour Director. Havent been on St Clair since 7/22. Went to one of his spots and did nothing (hit or miss spot, we missed). On the way to the next spot I told him to pull it over....got on the trolling motor and spanked a 4 (our big fish) and we left. Off to the next spot.....and so it went. All spots that they "should" be on, havent fished them in a while but still ended up in 2nd place w/14.94 for 5.

But I can tell you that it was the exception instead of the rule. Normally this time of year in good weather I have about 5 or 6 areas holding roaming fish....now I dont know if any place has them. We got lucky :)

Mini

Latest posts

Back