How do you feel about this?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
So, I caught that 9LB largemouth Bass on this past Sunday (pictures posted on "Massachusetts Bass are spawing" thread), and being a HUMAN who doesnt feel killing a pregnant fish is right, I PUT IT BACK. SO I email the mass wildlife assoc. and inquire about receiving a "gold pin" just to have to hang on the wall for cathcing the bass. In this state (MA) if you are ever lucky enough to get a 7LB bass, you are eligible for a "gold pin" , anyways, I emailed them 2 pics of the fish (which CLEARLY show its bigger than 7LB) and they tell me "sorry the fish must be weighted" etc.etc. So my theory here is , HOW THE HELL CAN THEY EXPECT PEOPLE WHO FISH ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON (like most normal angerls) to get a dam fish weighted "officially" when NOTHINGS OPEN, and i want someone else to be able to catch the fish so I put it back. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN how this is considered "THE RIGHT THING TO DO" ..i got the Mass Dept of Wildlife telling me pretty much, to KILL THE FISH, that aint right by no means...and now i'm kinda pissed.......:angry:

Reason and logic must be suspended when dealing with agencies such as this. It puts you in a much better place going into it.

Here in Ohio for it to be an official" Fish Ohio Certificate", it is determined by length..not weight.

MA doesn't have a C&R category??.....MI does,....just send them a length and a photo and it's a done deal.....(I caught a "White Bass,..aka Silver Bass) here a few years ago that was #1 in the state for that year (C&R Category) and IF I would've killed that fish,...I would've set the new "State Record!!"...go figure........sometimes by doing the right thing...we get screwed!! LOL

Here in Iowa for a big fish award and to get listed in the record book for that year all you have to do is snap a picture, measure it with a witness and send that in. For Largemouth they have to be 22 inches or 7 lbs if you weigh it. Smallies are 20 inches or 4 pounds. My father-in-law got his award a few years ago for his 24 inch bass and he released it just fine. Nice to have the length option available.

Of all the big fish that I have caught I have never applied for a "Master Angler" award here in Michigan. Although now they do have a catch and release catagory, I was always happy with a picture, a memory and the thought that the fish I caught is alive, breeding and available for someone else to enjoy as much as I did. That in itself is enough of a trophy for me.

Now that I think of it I am going to list the fish I caught that would be eligible for Michiagn's Master Anger Award program:

Smallmouth

Bluegill

Sunfish

Crappie

Walleye

Yellow Perch

Rockbass

Catfish

Bowfin

Carp

Pike

Musky

Almost all came while bass fishing too. I have yet to get a Michigan Largemouth that will qualify. Here it is a 6lb fish, my biggest is 5lb 15oz from Michiagn waters. Also I am using the Catch and Keep criteria, not the catch and relase criteria (Catch and Keep goes by weight, Catch and Release goes by length).

Mini

I think you did the right thing, putting the fish back. These agencies are run by people who only have certain things in mind. Giving out pins, versus saving fish, obviously is not of much

importance to them. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, and on behalf of all of us who have not yet caught a 7 lb, even a 5 lb bass, THANK YOU.

I just regesterd the fish I caught last Saturday on the hotside for a VA Citation award. CPR, Catch Photo Release. I had a witness. If I didn't, I could have done it by picture.

TOXIC

The admiration and respect of the folks here ought to beat out a "Gold Pin" from a bunch of bungling bureaucrats... And, since I agree that you got screwed I am going to discuss this with Rich... I see no reason why we could not at least arrange for a fine (read that as very cheap to produce and mail...we are frugal people by nature) "certificate" for those who have been "slighted/screwed" by any state's agency with rules like those you encountered...

I'll keep you and everyone else posted on my progress to creat a sufficiently honorable yet lighhearted "Award" for fish that fall into this category...should have gotten an award for this fish but the bureaucrats are bungling idiots when they establish ludicrous rules that prevent official recognition therefore NTOWS has acknowlesdged the feat of superior angling''' etc., etc., etc., all signed by Rich and countersigned by the Wizard of Oz (who could dispute that authenticity)

Hear, Hear to what Greg said.. YOU know you caught the fish, We know you caught the fsh and your FRIENDS know you caught that fish. If it were me, I would not worry about a "gold pin" when I had the respect and support of the people that believe you 100%.. A nine pound

Massachusetts Bass is an amazing accomplishment and pin or no pin I think I'd have

9 lb. Club stenciled somewhere on my boat. That's what I did with my 8 lb. Maryland Bass.

So, don't worry about it. You AND a lot of people know you did it so let it go..

Uncle Billy

Welcome to the state of Massachuesetts.

it does not make any sense what so ever.

let it go, the reward for catching and releasing that fish in Ma. is far better than any stinking pin they have sent you.

as you know, there are not a lot of fish that size caught in this area. so when they get a claim that is was caught, they want it verified on there scale.

so the next time you get a hog like that, take lots of pics and set her free.

GregD

P.S. I commend you for letting her go! :D

i agree 100%. I hate that Mass does not have a cath and release cartagoty for pins. I have cought my fari share of fish that would qualify but heve never put in for one because it generally means killing the fish. Not worth it in my book.

I'm liking the "NTOWS Free Millie Award"

Given in recognition of the catch and release of a significant fish that was not officially recognized by a state agency and who therefore have been "slighted/screwed" by any state's agency's tupid unjustifiable rules such as was encountered by the above named fisherman". with rules like

That is bull but in the long run, you did a good deed......congratulations, you deserve more than a 'gold pin'...........kenny

Hello Basstrackerma

I live in MA too, and I caught a gold pin pickerel weight 7.2 pounds, and I did not even bother brining the fish to get weight to get a pin. I have actulay caught (44 inch Pike) many fish that would have been pins and never turned them in, because I beleieve in catch and realse and only taking what I will use. In my opinion a picture is worth more to me than a stupied little pin..

X

Latest posts

Back