How do I remove Mcafee from my computer ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
It came with the computer, and I never liked it anyhow. Now that it has expired, it is just annoying with popup windows telling me to buy another one.

I looked in the add/remove section of the control panel, and all it lists is a Mcafee uninstall wizard.

I can't seem to find the uninstall wizard though.

If I try to manually delete the mcafee folders, it won't let me do it.

Any ideas ?????

Steve

Try going into the control panel and the add/remove programs feature. That should remove it all. If not, I have read other places that you may have to go to the McAfee site and download an "unstaller".

Rich D

Try the uninstall feature in control panel/add remove programs and PRAY it doesnt lock up your computer. Antivirus program HATE to be removed.... Jeff

Try the uninstall feature in control panel/add remove programs

Wouldn't that just uninstall the uninstaller ?

That's the only Mcafee listing in the add/remove list, the uninstaller wizard. But I can't locate the uninstaller wizard to run it. :wacko:

With McAffee, start your computer in safe mode. Reboot and when the machine starts up repeatedly hit the F8 key, then follow the directons for a safe start. That's the only way you can boot the computer without McAfee loading up. Then use the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to try and uninstall again.

If all else fails, use the McAfee Removal tool according to the directions on this web page:

http://support.winferno.com/CRMsupp..._j=questiondetails&_i=64&nav2=McAfee Products

I had the same problem with Symantec. I finally had to use a re-edit cleanup tool, and manually delete all of the files, directories, etc. from my hard drive. What a pain.

Tex

Alright MO, that wiped it out. You'd think they would just include an easy to use uninstaller.

Thanks,

Steve

No problem. Had to do it myself. McAfee is like a virus, isn't it?

Good luck McAfee is a bear to remove... Let me know if it fails to be removed by the tool... I have a six or seven page document on removing it maually...:eek:

Just curious Steve.. What didn't you like about McAfee?? I've had it for years and have always liked it. It saved me more than once.. I bought it on-line and I don't have to remember anything, thay always let me know and it's good for both of my computers. Now they have a "site advisor" that tells you how dangerous a site you may click on is.

I don't mean to start a Virus Program war and yes I'm aware of all of the free ones around.

Uncle Billy

Bill, It just took TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to do a scan, was a bear to do anything else while it was scanning, and have never had it pick up anything while finding problems with my other programs.

It was OK for the free year,Just wasn't worth me paying for.

And the annoying popups telling me to buy another version....:wacko::wacko: MO is right, it is worse than the virus.

Latest posts

Back