Hour meter install and 75 HP 2 stroke

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul W

Reaction score
I installed a Teleflex rectangular hour meter in my 2001 Pro Deep V 16 with a Merc 75HP 2 stroke this past spring prior to taking it out the first time after storage. I had the boat out only twice since storage and had motor problems. It will not develope any horsepower. The plugs seem to be oil fouled. It is now in the shop and they can't seem to find the problem and are talking to Mercury now. My question is could the hour meter in anyway cause problems??? I posed the install question on this board and my replies were to connect the - wire to the ground on the fuse panel and the + wire to the purple wire on the ignition switch, which I think I did right. On the back of the ignition switch there were 4 or 5 lugs all having various color wires to them. I connected the + wire of meter to the lug that had two purple wires and one other colored wire connected to it. Is that the correct setup???? The boat has been in the shop since the 1st of June and of course out of warranty. It ran fine before I put it in storage and Tracker did the winterizing. If the meter is causing this problem I find it hard to beleive the mechanic wouldn't have found it buy now!!!!!! Are there any Merc mechanics on this site??????? Starting to get a little worried now I have a trip comming up to Rainy in July and would hate to fish from a row boat! Anyone with this motor had any problems??? Mine ONLY has about 25 hours on it, didn't do much fishing last season

Latest posts

Back