Hot fishing spots

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
It has been hot, hot, hot in Tennessee this summer; not a day under 90^ since mid-June. I'm thinking it may be a record summer. Because of my obligations, I only get to fish in the daytime, and only one or two days during the week. I'm not complaining because we pretty much have the lake to ourselves. I have found that, although it's a brutal test of endurance, you can catch 'em during the heat of the day. Fish deeper, along the drop-off into the main channel and on the flats close to to the edge. Bring plenty of water/sports drinks and ice, and pray for a slight breeze. The new performance fabrics with UV protection are a plus; if you get too hot take off your shirt and soak it. The performance fabrics will dry faster than cotton (evaporation=cooling)and aren't heavy on the skin. I have some of the Columbia PFG shirts, and my partner's got an Under Armour button-down that he wore this past Wednesday. Both kinds are long sleeve and believe it or not, help tremendously. Also, wear a hat!!!! I ain't a hat-wearin' guy, but I do on the water these days. Main thing is stay hydrated and recognize when you're getting too hot. We usually hit the marina for a burger and leisurly stay in the AC, then head back out for the last few hours.

Sort of. Chattanooga area. Mostly I fish Chickamaugua, the Hiawasee. My Dad lives in Winchester, and I spend half of the week there. I have fished the Elk River below Tims Ford Dam for trout, but haven't been on that lake yet. There was a long break in my lake fishing activity while being a single parent. The kids have grown, I've met a great lady, we live on the river, and I've managed to save some money and semi-retire. Dad is in good health, but 92 yrs old, so I split my time between McMinn Co. and Franklin Co. As Dad inevitably becomes more infirmed, I'll spend more time with him. Then when the time comes, I'll probably move back to McMinn Co. full-time. i'd like to fish Dale Hollow; it's mostly a Smallie lake isn't it?

Yeah buddy. Lemme know if you want to hook up in the fall. I'm up here in Ohio but, usually make my fall trip(s) around the late Oct./early Nov. timeframe and of course in the spring around April.

Great lake and big smallmouth. You can see some of my older pics in the my library. I've got plenty of new ones but, have no way to post them since I no longer have a home PC;)

Latest posts

Back