Hey Glenn, Greg Meyer....Thompson question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a Thompson Pro Hunter in 25-06. It is blued, black syntheic stock... I can get it for $525.00. Is this a good price?? Second question, if I get a 50 cal. black powder barrel, will I need to replace the forearm?? When barrels are purchased do the forearms come with them?? Just want some dirrection before I jump off the deep end.

Thanks in advance,

Bubby:)

That is a fair price, not a great price... I would check the website about the forearm... It does depend on manufacturer (of the barrel) and the forearm... Usually if they are TC barrels (except the shotgun ones) only one forearm is needed....

The 50 cal. black powder barrel would need a specific new forearm made just for it to allow for the ram rod. MOST other rifle barrels use the same forearm unless you get into the custom contour barrels from the Custom Shop or other custom barrel makers.

Dave

Yeah forgot about the ramrod... Went and looked at mine...

Greg, do you like yours?? The one i have a chance to buy is 25-06 bull barrel. You said that was a fair price, however I cannot find another close to the price. Am I looking in the wrong places??

You can check prices on Gunbroker.com and other auction sites. In my opinion it isn't a high price, it is a fair price, just not a bargain.

My belief is that the TCs are great field and fun guns. I have used mine for deer hunting, 200-300 yd varmints, and loads of paper punching. I don't own one with a bull barrel so I don't know how well a .25-06 will perform. Great hunting caliber, and a few guys use them for called coyotes I happen to think that the .257 is about the best caliber for whitetaik deer. My own personal deer rifle of first choice is a small ring Mauser I built in the 60s in .257 Roberts. Almost 50 years of use and I still pick it first for and deer hunting where I am walking. Fantastic results and very light weight. What will you use the .25=06 for? Do you need a bull barrel? The blackpowder barrel will be very useful if you want to use it.

Greg, honestly I was going to sell the bull barrel. I just found out the gun is sold. I want a 7mm-08 for whitetail, I also would like a black powder barrel...and a 22LR barrel.I could not get them all at once however.

Thanks,

Bubby,

I put my first one together by shopping for individual parts. I bought a brand new, still in the box T/C Pro Hunter stainless frame with the black synthetic Pro Hunter stock / forearm for $300. Then I bought a very lightly used blued 7mm-08 barrel for $160. So that entire first rifle cost me $460.

Then I bought a Encore frame from T/C's custom shop. Stainless engraved frame with a custom laminated wood thumbhole stock / forearm set. I can't remember how much that one was right now, but I do know that I added a .25-06 barrel to it and still was WAY under the price of most of the used T/C Encores that I see advertised - and this was a new frame with a very lightly used barrel.

Keep your eyes on GunBroker, and check out http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/ . Every once in a while they have a good deal that comes along.

I'll keep my eyes out for a 7mm-08 and a BP barrel or whole gun for you. I see them from time to time. I'm always skeptical about buying any BP barrel used though. Some people just don't understand how corrosive BP and some of the substitutes can be on the inside of a barrel.

EABCO has some barrel sales from time to time too. (E. Arthur Brown Company) Check them out here: http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, thanks a ton! I agree about the BP barrel. I may get a 45-70 barrel instead. Here in Louisiana, they are considered BP as long as they are single shot.

"may get a 45-70 barrel instead. Here in Louisiana, they are considered BP as long as they are single shot."

That is cool!

Dang! I'm from Louisiana, and I didn't know that. Of course, I never hunted deer in LA - plenty of rabbit, squirrel, duck, goose, dove, etc... But never deer.

All the best,

Glenn

They made it legal two years ago! You also can use crossbows during the bow season.

Back