Help needed....boat leaking ;(

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I need help fast guys! I noticed about 10 gallon of water come out of my boat Sunday morning after fishing. Well I crawl up under it last night and think that the keel cap on my 02' Pro Team 185 is leaking. I could see the water drip from the very bottom.

Questions are:

Doesn't Tracker warrant the welds of the boat if original owner?

Isn't the keels welded from the inside on the 175 & 185?

I'm kinda wondering whether I could possibly get it fixed at the Tracker dealer in Cinci but, I'm also concerned that they would even have a welder or send it somewhere.

I need to try to get this fixed ASAP because Dale Hollow is comin' up soon.

I also believe it could be welded from the outside but, concerned with the foam floatation they put in there from the factory.

Any help at all would be appreciated;)

Thanks,

TEE

Call this number....it's the BPS repair in cinci.

513-874-9202

Let me know if you can how it works out. I'll be at Cinci. BPS fishing counter after 2PM.

TEE,

I know this is not what they are made for, but I put a 8' KeelShield on mine and it took care of my leak on the keel.

Mine is a '99 riveted 185 so there are differences between the 2 hulls. My keel I believe is still welded but it has a alum. "shield or cap" for lack of a better words, riveted over the keel for additional protection. Mine was leaking somewhere between the keel cap and the hull or a cap rivet. The water was also draining out at the bottom of the cap and it would for days. It's been on around 5 yrs. and still not a leak.

If you decide to try this, make sure there is absolutley no more water dripping out around the keel. If there is, you will have an adhesion problem with the 3M tape. Also, carefully follow the installation instructions and have and extra pair of capable hands helping you. Note: I also raised the front of the trailer as high as I could to let as much water drain to the back of the boat as possible. Let it sit for a few day to make sure there is no more water leaking out. It's also easier to install the KeelShield with the bow of the boat up high. This gives you more room to get under the hull for the install.

Tee,

Contact Tracker as stated above, but don't get your hopes up. This happened to my '03 PT 175, so I took it in to have it checked. This is where Tracker gets picky. They have a lifetime warranty on "external welds". However, this weld is done from the inside of the hull so even though it is in direct contact with the water, it is considered an internal weld. The local Bass Pro sent pictures in on mine, and Tracker denied the claim. Bass Pro said they could get a welder to fix it for about $400.

I fixed mine by using aluminum brazing rods, I can't remember the name brand, but you can google it or check Cabela's. I used a MAPP gas torch and had plenty of heat.

I removed the front deck, and cut the foam from the center line of the boat, still plenty left. After cleaning the weld, I found a 6" crack. I brazed that from the inside, then for security, I ran a bead down both sides of the outside of the keel cap. Took me day of work, but it is watertight now. In fact, that leak was how I found this website, when I was looking for answers to how Tracker reacted.

Good luck!

TEE,

If you decided to go the KeelShield route contact me (since they are one of my sponsors). I have heard of them being used for this but normally hesitate to recommend it as a fix. It is not what the shield was designed for but is a positive by-product of an install.

TOXIC

The Keelshield is a good idea but, kind of lean towards getting the crack fixed permanently.

I was kind of afraid of that fact Jim...."external" weld being the key word here.

I called the repair center yesturday but, the guy I need to talk was off til today.

If they buck on it...I guess I'll have to see about getting it welded.

Jim...did the foam go all the way up the front to the bow? I may do the removal myself but, would rather have it welded with a possible support in there so it won't happen again. I am familiar with the rod you are talking about. You can braze aluminum as thin as a beer can. Seen the demonstration at a show one time. My dad may even have some left.

But, like I said I wanna' permanent fix.

It's been a good boat and hope this doen't turn into a RPIA:(

Tee,

The foam is the expanding type, and winds up almost front-to-back. The deck is fairly easy to get off, just have to find all the screws through the carpet, then check to see how far the foam spread in yours.

Either way you go, you will need to remove some foam so you don't have problems when you heat the hull. My local Bass Pro said they would have a welder just run a bead down each side of the external keel cap. I had no problems with the brazing rods, and I consider it a permanent fix. Fairly simple, and I only lost the day that I was working on it, not the week or more that the welder would have had the boat.

Either way you go, good luck! This has been the only real issue I have had, just didn't like the way Tracker split the hairs on the warranty.

That's really what I wanted to hear Jim;) I would think if it's a crack, it'll be a WHOLE lot easier to weld from the outside.

Mysely being a toolmaker for years think that it shouldn't be an issue from the outside BUT, it will have to be completly dry with no water present. Should have an answer today from Tracker but, leaning towards fixing it myself because of time restraints.

Thanks so much Jim for all the info and welcome to the Greatest Site on the web:cool:

And your right about Tracker and warranty issues. If you go all the way back to when I bought the boat (loooong story), you can see that I have had more than my fair share of "hassles" that I had to go thru to get things straightened out.

Bottom line is they covered it anyway so why all the hassle?

That's what causes bad reps.

Latest posts

Back