Hard to get started in the morning.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
The motor on the boat - not mine!

1994 carbureted 200 Merc. First time I go to start it, I have to crank and crank and crank before it catches. Sometimes to the point that the battery is getting weak. Bulb is hard. Choke is on all the while I'm cranking.

Once it starts, it's fine. The rest of the day, it catches right away without the choke.

Any suggestions?

me?

Scott is your motor trimmed all the way down? I know it sounds weird, but if mine isn't it won't start as easy.

Scott,

I have had the same 'type' of problem with my boat and engine (90hp Merc). Everyone seems to indicate that you should make sure the bulb is rock hard and ready to go when starting. On my boat, I only squeeze it once or twice, when starting it the first time - like in the morning. Also, someone here gave the suggestion that I only prime the bulb with the engine down. I used to prime it while the engine was still up, before launching.

I give the throttle two forwards movements, to 'prime' the carbs. Then I start it. Usually fires within 10 seconds. Sometimes takes it 2 or 3 times running before it will stay on. A little cold natured.

Afterward, I just need to bump it to get it to go. No matter if it's been a couple of hours on the trolling motor.

Now on the other side. Earlier this year, I did the 'prime the hell' out of the bulb. It was always difficult to start. Almost impossible. Once started and running, it was always smooth the rest of the day.

Personally, I think it has to do with the differences in particular engines.

Hope that this helps.

Tex

I have a '93 Merc. 150 carbed, so this could help. I always lower mine to where the motor is trimmed upright, not trimmed under, in other words the peehole is well above the water line, and the bottom of the cowling is parallel with the water. Then I prime. Push the choke, give the Hotfoot a little gas, and it usually starts the first time. But I also run it every wednesday (halfway between my usual uses, the weekends) on the hose...................sa

By "Prime" do you mean that you move the throttle lever/hot foot back and forth? Do these motors have what I would call an accelerator pump?

Thanks!

me!

Scott, on my 115, I always give a little throttle when starting cold. Enough so that I get about 2000-2500 rpm when the engine catches. I also don't hold choke for more than the first second or two of cranking. I hold the throttle for a few seconds after it lights up, and then let it drop back to idle. It may still stall, but it fires more easily after the first light up.

Are you starting with the throttle at neutral/idle?

Note to self: EFI is worth the extra bucks.

Tex...I have the same problem with my 2002 90 Merc. Those are about the coldest natured motors I have had to deal with. It's just their nature.....they sure scream when warm though.

TEE

Yo Scott! No I mean prime the bulb. The gas get's to the end of the cable (into the motor) better I think when at a level trim. I think Rich is right also, it shouldn't need a lot of choke, just push in hold for a second, and turn the key while pressing the hotfoot a little bit, about halfway. Hold in the choke while the starter is doing it's thing. You may need to up the idle setting a little bit on the port side of the motor.

After you have run it for a while, and you stop to fish for a long period, when you restart to move to another location, is it easy to start? Do you use the choke at this time?

Never have to touch the choke the rest of the day; it starts on a touch!

Giving it partial throttle while cranking doesn't help.

Even though I've pumped the bulb hard, it's almost as if there were no fuel in the carbs or engine.....

me!

Pump the gas several times, not the bulb, the hot-foot, just like you would a car with a carb.

I have a 150xr6 and what i do is i prime the bulb with the motor trimmed level then i turn on the key and wait till i hear the beep then push the choke in for 5 sec then crank with the choke still in. mine will crank for 5 seconds tops and fires right up. i never have to give it any throttle to get it to start. if it happens to stall it will fire right back up. this works for me on the coldest of mornings. on warm morns i just prime it and crank with no choke. my old evinrude intruder was the same exact way.

I have a Merc 115 and on cold mornings I have to pump the hot foot to get any response from her! Usually 3-5 turns of the key with the hot foot at least half way down.

Got it, Bob!

Note to self: DO NOT POINT HOSE AT FACE TO SEE IF IT'S CLOGGED!

Since I've never looked at this area before, is the hose from the primer the only one that goes to the carb? Does it only go to the middle carb? What does the primer look like, etc.....

Assuming that there is no stream - since you seem to be VERY accurate in your long-distance diagnoses - what all needs to be replaced? Is it just a diaphragm or is there a complete pumping mechanism that I should attack?

THANKS, BOB!

me!

Bob,

You are the man!!! That's why I qualified my response with a "should be I think possibly maybe"!!!

Scott:

You've already stated, "Don't point the hose at my face" issue.

But please be sure to put out that cigar or cigarette, too!

Bob,...you're awesome man,....unbelievably valuable when it comes to Engine help on this board,........can't thank you enough!! Scott,..if you turn yourself into a roman candle,..DO NOT blame Bob!! LOL

Mac

Bob -

It's late Wednesday evening now..... I din't even get a chance to see your note about the fax # until after I posted the thread about learning how to work the choke.....

Again, Bob, Thanks!

Remember folks, he's at MarineUSA in Worchester, Massechusettes - or however it's spelled, I'm too tired right now to go to the Funk & Wagnell's!

me!

Latest posts

Back