Guest Charger

• Thread starter Michael DeGolier
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael DeGolier

Reaction score
How often should I plug in the Guest Charger? Just bought a used 2010 Z-7 and am not familiar with on board chargers. This is my first bass boat.:)

Some leave them on all the time, some 12-24 hours after use and some the day before going out. Most onboard chargers have a trickle charge they revert to when batteries are charged full. If you're sure your's does that, you can leave them on. Just be sure that your batteries are full (if they're not the sealed type).

I have a Minn Kota 2 bank onboard and leave it on all the time with no problems. A low charged battery sitting, is worse than keeping them fully charged (IMHO).

Hey Michael D .... I've got a 20 amp/two bank charger for my two Interstate batteries that power my 75lb. trolling motor (on a Z6) and after a hard windy day of fishing I've never even got close to running out of power -- BUT -- when I get home I always plug in the onboard Guest for at least 8-12 hours. I just leave it plugged in overnight even if I don't plan on going out for a day or two or three. The Guest just maintains the optimum charge. Once in a while I'll even charge the third Interstate - cranking battery - but it always indicates full charge anyway.

Leave it plugged in when you aren't fishing. If you charge up and unplug then plug in again before fishing you are using cycles and shortening the life of your batteries.

always charge it when you get home right away....when it show fully charged 10-12 hrs avg time--..unplug it and your good to go for at lease a month (if you have good batteries)..if longer then a month plug it in check and let the charger tell you what the batteries need....A red light or green light.tells the story...easy man---

Sorry hooksetter but I disagree with waiting a month to chArge your batteries. General consensus is to charge them as soon as you get off the water and keep them charged. One of the things that shortens battery life is to let them sit in a partially discharged state. I plug my charger in when I get home and unplug it the next time I head out.

TOXIC

I agree with Tox, just leave your charger plugged in anytime your not using your boat.

I think hooksetter was advocating unplugging only after the batteries are fully charged. There is a good reason for this. Smart chargers can and do go bad. I had the original Guest charger on my PT175 go bad and boil out a trolling motor battery in a matter of a few days. Sue D. was awesome on customer service and I got a replacement. Problem is that charger went out too and boiled another one several years later.

This was not me failing to check water levels every month. This was a charger that simply wouldn't go into "float" mode and remained at full charge. Once a deep cycle battery is fully charged, there's little harm in unplugging the charger and letting it sit for up to a month. Better than boiling a battery away!

Just being a sport fisherman,not a tournament fisherman,I plug my Z7 in as soon as I get off the water,sometimes I fish 3,4,times a week,when the green full charged light comes on I unplug,but if I miss a couple of weeks fishing,Ill plug it in the night before I go just to make sure,I dont want to take a chance on a malfunction,and burn my boat up,or my house down.

Latest posts

Back