Greasing Wheel Bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew how often you should grease the wheel bearings on the nitro trailers. Mine is a 98' model (lx700 boat) and has the little rubber cover which snaps into the dust cap and there is a grease zert in the end of the spindle. It seems the grease flows inside to the back of the bearings and pushes the old grease out the front. I have been greasing mine about once per month. I have been told that this system does NOT 'pressurize the hub assembley and is more prone to water entry'. This really concerns me as much as I pull my trailer and my intuition tells me that there has got to be something better. I have grease all over my wheels most of the time and am looking at what to do to remedy this issue. Anybody else have this problem or know of a good solution?

Thanks,

jd

You are right they are not the best. Buy new bearing buddies and a Bearing Bra. I found with these hubs you can't stuff them full of grease or they will start throwing grease all over. I give them a small shot every 2 months or so depending on useage.

Water still doesn't mix with grease. So, push the old grease out, then clean out the area around the grease fitting (finger or paper towel). That grease does you no good. Now, put the rubber cap back on.

Why you get grease on your wheel... You pack the area full of grease and put the cap on. You run down the road to the lake. The hubs heat, causing expansion of the grease. It pushes out the rubber cap and allows grease to come out. Now, if you can cause this pressure OUT, then the rubber cap may not be properly seated (mine was pooched out in one area). Okay, you put the trailer in the water. The hubs are cooled, causing contraction, thus sucking water in. This is worse if the rubber cap is "open".

The way around this? Clean that grease out from around the fitting, put the rubber cap on. Now, push the center in. This should create a small vacuum. When the heat expands the grease, the cap will move outward some but not leak air or water (in theory). It's kinda like "burping" tupperware.

James,I use the bearing buddies and only apply grease as needed.you can tell by looking at the spring whether they need grease or not.As for the grease on your wheels,you are either over greasing,your grease seals are shot,or some grease is just too thin and will come out even with new seals.It is a good idea to repack your bearings every winter so any moisture dosen't rust during storage.If you put in new seals, also put in new bearings.Even if they don't look bad.Clean the old ones and throw them in a box behind the truck seat along with the tools to change them.You never know when you might need them.

spoke with a mfg extensively today and it seems that they think the seals in the back may be leaking water in when the boat is launched. they suggested new seals be put in, the bearings repacked. i'm going to go ahead and get new bearings also as they are not terribly expensive like a lot of boating items. Something has to be worn to cause the amount of grease I have flying around. I'm bettin the rear seals.

jd

J.D. maybe you oughta try differant colors of grease -- then your wheels would look like those cool spin-art things at the state fair. ;>)

Harpo

been thinkin of paintin the wheels a puucky greenish brown color so it wouldn't show so much. just know that something is wrong with what I have and would like to get it fixed before we trailer to fork. it ain't cool if your wheels don't shine!

jd

If your gettin' grease out the back..you need new seals. If it's comin' out the front of the spindle..you need new caps. I like the E-Z lube system. I replace the bearings every two years(regardless..cheap ins.) and repack them (pump out the old) every couple months and I keep a close check on heat every trip. Keep spare bearings,seals,caps and cotter pins...

TEE

talked to one mfg and they advise on this particular system to add grease before you launch the boat - everytime out. I thought I was doing well at every couple of weeks. I'm thinkin a pressurized system would be better for keeping water out also. If I can find out the correct sizes from tracker, I'll be replacing seals, caps, bearings, cotter pins, and an extra hub. where can you find info on the E-Z lube system? is it like the buddy bearing protectors?

thanks,

jd

James the other day I was checking here to find the sizes for my 882 and EricH. was pretty sure they were the

1 1/16"x1 3/8". Ours are probably the same. If you get time you can take your hub apart and take your old bearings to Fleck Bearing. They are at Main and Virginia in downtown OKC. They can just measure your old and outfit you with the right size. Dont forget to get the race as well as the bearing. A couple of years ago I fryed some bearings on my Champion I had and did not replace the race and the new ones did not last very long because the race was warped.

thanks mark and sam,

i'll check into it. looks like i'm fixin to get a little dirty on this project. note to self: pick up some brews and some red shop rags! probably right on the spindle size as I think that type is the tapered one.

jd

The bearing buddies cannot be over filled.there is a little hole on them and if you try to put too much grease in them it will shoot out the holes.Also I had two sets stolen off of my trailer,had to drill holes and install set screws.

wow! just received bps marine catalog in the mail. just when I thought I had it all figured out. looks like there is a hub kit with a threaded see thru cover that bathes the bearings in oil (and a leak proof seal no less). looks to be by a company called tie down. anybody know anything about these? so many bearings and hubs, so little time.

jd

My Ranger has oil filled hubs so I wouldn't know. LOL

Jr,

thats a good lookin Ranger you have there. wish I had one too! I'm wondering if it has the same system as my immediate post above. totally sealed and bathed in oil. that would work out well i think.

jd

With all the traveling I have had to do while in the Military for 20 years I have used one rule of thumb. I give (2) Zerks every 500 miles of use. Have yet to have a bearing go out on me!!! Knock on Wood

i have put the bearing buddies on my 93 5 yrs ago.i have also put a new set of bearings and races,and seals in it due to the fact the origionals had plastic cages.didnt like that!

the bearing buddies do keep the water out better than the rubber plug type.i have not had any water in the hubs since the buddies were put on.all i do at the end of every season is repack them without tearing them dow,check the end play on the bearings and thats it.during the season,if i use it heavy such as more than 3 times a week,ill pull the cap and give it a few shots of grease till it oozes out then wipe off what come out,put the cap back on,then put a little grease in the buddy.just enough to move the plate off its retainer.not too much to ooze out the relief holes.

use a good synthetic grease or a good water resistant grease.a synthetic grease is the best bet.lately ive been using the red grease.its a heavy duty high pressure grease used in over the road trucks.it works good.no problems.

if youre getting grease out the back,change the seals on it.what size axle is it?the 2000lb,or the 3500 lb axle.use the timkin seals,they have a heavy lip on them,ive been using them on all my vehicles with no problems.ive taken my hubs apart to check them without putting new seals on them,and havent had any leaks.when putting the new ones in,clean the spindle where the seal rides clean with sandpaper and brake clean,use the brake clean not to sparingly.flush the surface while sanding.get it clean as clean can be,nice and shiny.then you dont have to worry about the seals going out early.

ive put over 10,000 miles on the seals and no leaks yet.round trip to springfield and back from pa.trips to lake ontario,to plattsburg,and all the local runs.also if you can use radial tires.i believe in them 100% now.they ride better,pull easier,and dont make the boat bounce as much on the trailer.

Thanks James.

Yea, it is a totally sealed system and the hubs are oil filled. No greasing bearings! It is supposed to be a great deal but with the weather we have had, I haven't even had a chance to get it out of the garage. Can't hardly wait though!

Latest posts

Back