Got tired of trailer lights going out so the LED's are now in!

• Thread starter Mike L. [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/878/l
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
I got tired of changing the tailight lamp capsules on my PC175's trailer!!! It seemed like the small lamp always

burns out or shatters inside the watertight capsule.

I spoke to Craig and asked him ift the low-profile Led trailer kit that BPS offers would be ok for my

trailer, he gave me the ok, so I bought one and added it this morning!

The LED's sure look nice! .......Hope that's the end of tailight troubles!!!

Has anyone else added these and have they held up OK??..........Mike
ledlow.jpg

I cured mine by unplugging them before I dunk the boat. Seems to work for me:)

I've thought seriously about changing mine to the LED's too. Mainly because even when they're working, they're not that bright. (That's what my boss says about me too). I think they look great too. I see them now on everything from semi-trailers to Cadilac de Ville's.

Harpo

Kinda off topic but I am a little anal about lights. If they are on the dang trailer, I want them to work. When I first got my 929, Teddy told me he couldn't keep a set of the backup lights in it. I ordered 2 new ones from Craig and proceeded to look at the "setup"....Push in lights with two prongs. Problem was that they had a metal bracket on the trailer....hello.....metal between pronged plugs = short. I modified both and have not had a problem since. Put my trailer in a parking space at the marina and a rabid tree ran over and bit one of the big rear assemblys. Those are hard wired (Thanks Tracker) so they had to cut the wires and replace. I have had one marker light out for a while and it has been really bugging me but for the life of me I could not get the gremlin out of it. Finally got frustrated and left it at the marina.....come to find out there was some "creative" wiring by the factory and some of the ground wires were run as hot.

If I have to ever pull a new harness, I will go LED across the board but not until.

TOXIC

AMEN, BROTHER MIKE!!!!

I did it three months ago and I LOVE them! All of my trailer lights are now LEDs. The installation was simple and I like how bright they are.

One of mine had water get inside the unit on the second to the last outing, but the LEDs continued to function. I do unplug the lights before dunking the trailer, but the added protection of having forty LED bulbs and a lifetime guarantee - to me - is worth the $50 it cost.

These types of lights should come standard on any boat that costs $15K or more.

Mike - What are you doing to those standard lights? heating them with a blow torch and then dropping them in ice water??? LOL I've got 4.5 years on mine with not a single blow out, and i've never unplugged mine. Sounds like from everyone above I am just LUCKY!!!

Hey Mike, how much were the lights and can you take a pic to show us what they look like installed??

Trep

Im with you Trep, I have had only one fail(not counting the plate light) on my trailer and it only cost me 8 bucks to replace. I dont unplug mine because i cant backup if i do because of the brakes. I have had some greif with my lighgts but it was due to corrosion in th ewires becausde somebody had a bright idea to use scotchlock conectors in an area that gets wet and they corroded badly. Since i fixed that i have had zero issues.

The led's aure are nice but expensive. i also havent found any that will fit my rear marker or front markers so if i ever went to them it would be only the tail and rear crossmember marker that i could do.

Jim - I don't have the trailer brakes so that isn't the issue, i'm just too darn lazy!! In fact the few times I have disconnected them I ALWAYS forget to re-attach! I'm afraid of a ticket or worse if they're not hooked up on the ride home.

Trep

As requested Trep!!!.....Parking light is now in my original post, brakes on in this one....they do seem quite bright!!! These are the low-profile Led trailer kits that BPS offers for $59.99...They were on sale for $49.99 and made by SeaSense.

I do unplug my lights before backing in an everytime I've replaced a light capsule they were still watertight. I've had lamps shake loose inside the sealed capsule and the small parking light lamp has shattered also. The first time you replace your Wesbar capsule you'll see that they take a little bit of work to get out.

I was good my first 3 years with the trailer, but have gone through 4 capsules since.......hopefully this will do it!!!

ledhigh.jpg

Thanks Mike - Looks great, so does the manufacturer have a projected life for these?

Trep

i went to led's this season,i had sealed beam bulbs in there since 99 and never had a bulb failure,even my markers are led's.they are bright,sometimes blinding on the markers when turning,but people should be able to see you now.

i have the screw/rivet type of led's but also i got a pair of rubber groummet type also.mine also got water in them,but the electrical part of the bulbs are sealed in potting material,ive seen them in bodies for over 5 yrs with no failures.

my reverse lights are sealed beam lights mounted in rubber housings.i was going through the clear 4411 bulbs every 2 months or so,i mounted the sealed 4" bulbs in them,they are still in there working.

they are expensive,but well worth it by my standards.

Buddy - Craig is married to Kathy Roberts, that's ALL you need to know!!! LOL In fact, you REALY just need to know Kathy, Craig isn't much help these days!!! LOL The Women ALWAYS run things!!!!

Seriosly, Craig and Kathy work at the Detriot MI Bass Pro/Tracker Marine in Parts (at least Kathy is still in Parts, don't remember what promotion Craig got?? maybe to Kathy's water boy!!!! BBWWWAAAAAA).

Trep

Thanks Trep, feels like I have known him all my life. By the way I agree, Women get things done, we take the credit. Bubby

I got the same set from BPS and put them on about a month ago. I was having constant trouble with my "sealed" units overheating and burning out. I mostly use my boat in salt water so I guess it's harder on electrical stuff. I think all of those problems will be gone and the lights look cool and are very bright. I also eliminated the plugs for the tail lights from the wiring harness, which was becoming a problem as well. I cut off the plugs and hardwired the new LED lights to the harness. Crimped the connections, then used heat shrink tubes over the crimped connectors, then used liquid electical "tape" to seal the ends of the tubes to the wires. I anticipate no additional problems from the tail lights for some time to come.

Latest posts

Back