Flywheel concerns

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
I posted a couple days ago to Craig about a problem I had with my starter bendix gear...

It jammed up into the flywheel and seized the starter motor...I was able to free it up, buy I have some damage to the bendix gear and to a few teeth on the flywheel. I assumed that the damage was due to the jamming problem.

My father-in-law is an engine rebuilder - he looked at the flywheel and stated that the damage might not be from the bendix gear jamming into it that one time. He stated that most car engines will stop at the same point in the rotation of the engine. Hence, when most engines start, they would always engage the same few teeth on the flywheel. The 'damage' I was seeing on the flywheel just 'might' be caused by repeated engagement of the bendix gear at that same location...

Has anyone actually examined the teeth on their flywheel? Can you confirm or deny this info???

My 2001 90hp Merc has about 5 teeth all in one location that seem to have much more 'wear' that any of the others...

az

It would seem somewhat logical to me. The engine will likely stop with the pistons in the same (or near same) location, most all of the time - due to compression, etc. However, I would think on an outboard, there would likely be at least 2 places, maybe more, where there would be more wear.

However, I am not a mechanical wizz by any stretch.

Tex

Andy,

Never thought too look. I have a 95 125 and a 2001 150. I will look at them when I get home.

Carlos

Andy...I already went thru replacing the bendix on my 2002 last summer. Mine was caused by a BAD BATTERY! If your battery hasn't got enough juice..it can jam in place(which is what mine did) then you have to tap it carefully back down. Check your battery and make sure it's up to par. Mine was fixed under warranty.

TEE

TEE-

was it your Mercury warranty or the starter manufacturer's warranty?

my 1-year Merc warranty is long-passed...

az

It was under the Merc warranty....If it's not bad(teeth missing or rounded) you should be allright. Just flatfile the bottom of the flywheel to remove any burrs in the damaged areas and make sure your starting battery is good. Luckily it didn't really damage mine...

TEE

Andy -

The flywheel teeth should still be strong enough to withstand repeated startings at the same location - IF all else is in normal operating condition..... And IF the starter didn't engage while the motor was running.....

me!

Can you rotate the flywheel on the crank to get it on good teeth or is the flywheel keyed into the shaft?

Gene

Andy, I have a 2000 90 hp Merc that has 63 hours on it. All of the flywheel teeth look to almost to have never been used. The wear shows on the bendix gear. The pictures are a liitle out of focus.
000_0088.JPG

Good pics Sam-

A buddy told me that they make the metal on the bendix gear softer 'on purpose'...better for it to wear than the flywheel!

az

Latest posts

Back