Engine Issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lau

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I have a 2001 700LXDC which I have owned for approx. 6 months. It has always run pretty well. This weekend I had an issue where I took the boat out to a new lake. The boat didn't sound the same as it normally does when I first started it (sounded like it didn't rev as high). Figured the engine just needed to get some fuel in it. Once I felt like it got some fuel, it ran fine. Got on plane fine, so started fishing. When we started heading back, I could not get on plane. Engine would seem to start off fine, but would not go beyond around 3000 rpms. Tried to run it for a bit, then decided to turn it off. Turned it back on and tried to get on plane but limited to a 3000 rpm run. As I got close to dock, the engine stalled and had trouble starting again. Loaded the boat and started the engine ok. Wondering if this is a bad gas issue, or something else. I'm going to throw in some Heet to get any potential water out of the gas, but wanted to see if there were any potential fixes before I take it out for a test on the lake. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What engine do you have on your boat? Did you check the primer bulb to make sure it was firm. How old is the gas and is it E85? How long has the boat sat since the last time you ran it? Need a little more info to help out.

Thanks

BF

My engine is a 2001 90hp Tracker. Primer bulb was pumped until firm. I have only added gas once since owning the boat, so there is a mixture of gas from when first bought (approx. 6 months ago) and about 1 month ago when I added some Premium octane to it (91 octane). The boat was last out about 2.5 weeks ago and it ran fine. Before that, it was out every 2 weeks or so and ran fine every time. Hope this gives you more info.

Did you treat the fuel with stabil or something like that? 6 months is a long time for fuel in a fuel tank. I would not treat with heet or any other dry gas type product. My first guess would be to syphon the tank dry (burn it in your truck or mower) and start with fresh gas and see if that cures your problem?

BF

Thanks, Bruce. I figured if I was using the boat and mixed in some newer fuel that it would not be a problem, but an inexpensive fix like that is certainly worth the try. Thanks again.

JSL, make sure to use the correct octane in your boat, preferrably without ethanol in it. Motors are made to run on certain octain and that can throw off all sorts of things, computers etc in the motor.

Also I run quickleen and marine stabil in my tank all the time. Have done this for years and have rarely had any problems. Many here do this or similar.

Enjoy the boat!

Randy!

I'd check and clean the spark plugs first, then make sure your high speed carb isn't gummed up. (Ethanol degradation) Your 3 cyl is more of a 2+1 that feeds the high speed under demand. (Load/RPM's) Good luck! ;)

P.S. Take heed of the octane used as Randy mentioned. Your 'head was designed to burn at a heat range to remove as much ash/carbon after burn as possible. Lowering that range with higher octane is a bad idea. :unsure:

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the advice. I'll work on it and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

At some point in time the fuel requirements changed, my 2005 90hp calls for mid grade. My last 1993 90hp called for 87. I'd find a manual and check on which it calls for. I don't think that this is an octane issue though.

Change your fuel filter. I had the same thing happen. I bought a new filter, went out last night no problems. $7 fix. If not check the pump bulb, if you have, then move on to the fuel pump. But try the filter 1st.

Latest posts

Back