Economy and a new Business Venture

• Thread starter John Astrello [URL]www.ClassicLawnsOfTexas.com[/UR
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, been awhile since I updated everyone, so here goes.

As most of you know, I got cut from HP/EDS (due to the merger) on Dec. 1st (effective 1/31/09). So, I've been officially released for about a month, and have actually received my first un-employment deposit (they don't send a check anymore down here - deposit and give you an ATM to get it). Job prospects still are bad, but I keep applying - regardless.

Around Christmas, I reallized that if I didn't do something - I may well be both without a job; without funds; and no real prospects. So, I started working on a business plan. Time once again to be 'self un-employed and my own boss'.

My wife and I have started our own Lawn Care and Landscape business - Classic Lawn & Landscape, Inc. - serving Tyler and the E. Texas community. We do both residential and commercial properties. Been buying equipment (mowers, trimmers, trailer, software, etc), and working on the business plan/web site/marketing/advertising, etc. Good news is that my credit is still good (now), and the banks keep pushing money at me (a little more on that another time).

So, I would ask you a favor. We have the web site up, and it needs some exercicse and some 'hits'. Would appreciate it if you would take a look and give me any feedback (there is a feedback/comments form on the website - so we don't need to take up too much space on NTOWS). Not everything is done on the site as yet, but quite a bit is there. Under the 'Photo's' link, it shows you our 'Design Gallery'. Not what we have done, but rather what we can do. We've purchased and have been learning to use a very high end Landscape Design program based upon Corel Draw/Designer/Photo program. Wife is the official designer and Landscape Manager.

All for now. Wish me luck. More as we go down the road.

You mean I have to add the link!!! DUH!

Tex
www.ClassicLawnsOfTexas.com

Tex - what's the website link? Happy to help provide "hits" and take a look around, even if I'm not in your neck of the woods.

Whats the link?.. be glad to offer my "semi-pro" opinion

Nice web site but a bit to busy. Best of luck. I just went through it over a year ago with Lucent Technologies.

All when you click on the web site provided it will come up as unknown and display as:

http://www.nitroowners.com/www.ClassicLawnsOfTexas.com

just edit out the www.nitroowner.com/ and you will get to the web site.

If Tex edits his web site name in his message to:

http://www.ClassicLawnsOfTexas.com

that may take care of the problem

Tex, congratulations on starting your own business, and wish you the best of luck.

It's a very nice web site. My three suggestions:

1) Cut down (or even eliminate) the flash animation. People need information from your web site, not entertainment. Leave the high tech stuff to firms peddling high tech gizmos. The slower it loads, the more chance that the visitor will click "Back" and go to the next result of their Google search for a landscaping company. Not everyone has a fast computer and big internet bandwidth. For your business, a good looking web site that loads fast is much better than a good looking web site with fancy animation that loads a bit slower.

2) Ditch the music. Nothing says "Close this window fast!" like someone surfing from their desk at work, and landing on a web site that starts playing music.

3) Ditch the catalog, unless you have a strong idea of what you plan to sell via catalog, and it's important to the business plan. Keep your web site content as s simple as it needs to be in order to inform the customer of what you can offer them. The more complicated the site, the harder it is to maintain over the long haul.

Thanks all for the feedback so far. Have had the same suggestion on both the music and the flash.

The flash (most of it) is fairly integral to the template and the ease of use (for me). The music, easy to ditch.

My son (does some of this on the side) - may take a look at the 'standard site' vs 'flash'. Not sure if the folks that I bought the template from, have a non-flash version.

Catalog - probably will be ditched - just had to pick a stopping point for the initial load and publication (got to take care of some of the other pieces of the work).

Tex

Tex, I still have only dial up access, so what Rich said. Simple and fast will get more hits when looking for service over flash. A friend of mine owns and operater her own landscape bussiness and it's a tough row to hoe right now here in MD. She has expanded to many other task for existing customers during the off season. Internet marketing would be the best money spent on ads right now. But you can't forget paper ads for the older folks who do not use the web at all.

Good Luck

BF

Certainly, not depending upon only web. Web is just a backup to direct mail and other marketing.

Dial up! You mean that some still use that??? Sorry, not meaning to be 'sassy' at all.

While I understand that there are some that don't like or want anything but plain old html (no frills), I can't afford the time to update and maintain two sites. And taking the flash out (and replacing it with non-flash code), is simply too time consuming and non-productive.

Understand about 'other things'. We have other services planned as well (lighting, irrigation, holiday lighting), but have to get the base business up first.

Thanks.

Tex

Looks REALLY GOOD. But I do have a couple of suggestions from my marketing background:

first. Bring your "Special offers" up above the "page fold" (that point where you need to hit the page down key". Make your Spring Cleaning special offer and no obligation (GREAT WORDS: Do not use "free" if possible) evaluation up where they can grab immediate attention. Right now they are kinda at the tailend of your message.

second: your "left navigation" main menu seems redundant to the menu at the top of the page?? The home page is somewhat "busy" and this might fix that.

third: Design/Installation/Maintenance section is a lot of info, in fairly small font, and a dark color on a only slightly lighter background, on a home page. Might want to consider compacting it and then linking to deeper detail, or having the detail pop up as one "hovers" the mouse over the section. A thought came to mind that you might make "design/installation/maintenance" as three overlapping circles or something, displaying the connection between the three.

Piggbacking on others have said earlier.. you;ve got a lot going on here and it slows down both the page loading, and the reader. the typical page visitor has a very limited attention span, and you are somewhat overwhelming the senses. the story you're building is great, just dont overwhelm.

Consider adding a section as SOON as you can to list customer testimonials.

all of that said.. the single most important thing in my eyes is to move your offers higher up the page and give them more visibility.

great job. this stuff is NOT easy.

Here's another little tip and only because I consider you a friend.....You might want to get educated and add a service to menu......Foodplots. You can do special plantings for Birds, Butterflys and a host of other species. Once you are up and running consider Deer foodplots for landowners who hunt or rent/lease out their land. It is an untapped market. Add an ATV to you equipment list and then with all of the attachments, you can plant deer foodplots.

TOXIC

Guy around the corner from me STARTED out with a lawn/landscaping buisness and he's so busy it's unreal!

Good Luck Tex:cool:

Tex, best of luck to you. Toxic has some great ideas. My son is in the same business here in Louisiana, does only commercial. He does well.

Bubby:)

Thanks again (bowing mightly to everyone) for your suggestions. Tox - like the 'food plot' idea.

Specials - agree completely. The space it is in was avaiable without me doing much, so that's where I started. Going to take some time and work on 'menu content' to get rid of items not currently used, and highlight those other things.

Tex

"Barter" with the food plot owners for hunting rights or atleast a 100lbs of meat!!........nothing like a few back straps, sauted mushrooms, baked 'tater and a good cigar with a single malt chaser to make things right!! :rolleyes::p

Latest posts

Back