DIRECTV or DISH

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, had my first (and hopefully last) bad experience since moving with the cable company. Probably going back to Satellite.

Had DirecTV for years. Fairly satisfied - and since I'm no longer a customer and have a great offer from them, may be headed back.

However, any thoughts on DirecTV vs Dish?

Tex

Recently looked at both again. Been a direct TV customer for a long time though. Dish is cheaper on multiple reciever plans beacuse they have a dual tuner reciever that controls 2 tvs. Direct TV that would be 2 receivers. I believe that is a $5 a month per reciever. I got direct TV to waive those fees for 1 year and give me a dvr

We have had Dish TV with 2 DVRs for the last few years, service has been excellent. We are switching to Direct TV in the fall because we want to watch he Patriots in NC and Direct TV is the only provider we know of that offers the NFL ticket.

Guess it depends on what you want to watch. :)

Cass

Tex I have Dish and I absolutley (sp?) hate thier customer support. Long story short I got double billed on an install upgrade to HD and I proved it to them. They still insisted that I owed them $89 (the month before a CS rep told me to not pay it, but the call was not noted under my account) so I got pissed and dropped my plan down to the minimum. They are getting as little of my money as they can get. Plus everytime you change your package it's a $5 fee, not to mention $5 for every reciever then another $5 for the DVR and since I am not on a HD package it's another $5. I have $20 in thier BS fee charges. August can't come soon enough and it's bye bye.

Donnie

I have been looking at both and have not made up my mind yet. Something I did read that I found interesting is that you get better HD reception through an antenna than through cable or a dish. Granted that leaves out the (cable type networks) Discovery, espn, ect. But the over the air local channels (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX, ect) are fantastic. The cable/dish people all compress there HD to max the number of channels for there bandwith. I have not had cable tv in 11 years and there are shows I hear about I would like to watch but in general I don't miss it.

BF

We went with DISH because the neighbor went with Directtv. Direct TV came out and put the regular dish up on their roof. The problem as it was supposed to be HD. So they came back and put up the HD dish and installed HD. They took the regular dish with them but left the mast. Brand new roof with a pole sticking up next to his HD dish. Now anyone can screw up but they refuse to remove the wrong mount and fix the holes.

We went with DISH and as stated above have one DVR receiver that runs two tv's. The upgrade was instant so we didn't have to mess with rebates like you would with Direct tv. We like it but don't have any need for the NFL package. Our teams are on every weekend here.

Been with Dish for 8 years, had no issues with them, when I moved I upgraded to HD for free, I like them very much, a buddy of mine next door has Direct tv, and he likes them as well, you can't go wrong with either in my opinion, they are about the same but right now Dish has more HD, but Direct is supposed to get a chitload shortly

DirectTV here. Love NFL Sunday ticket and DVR service. We're probably going to add HD in the next couple of months.

Back