Dear ESPN2;

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Your Breakfast show is about as exciting as a NASCAR rain delay.

And Kim Bain is cute..... But..... Somehow..... A British accent in the Carolinas?

Two Thumbs Way Down.

me

(Edited to remove the "!" from my name; I'm that disappointed.)

How did you like the "Anatomy of a Pro"???

Stoooooooppppppiiiidddddd.....

"Target Area: The Brain"

"Attributes: Mental"

Gimme a break

I would have sent a camera crew out with those kids and gotten a lot more coverage of that... do some in booth stuff at the show... And, maybe had some camera crews out on practice days and interviewed the competitors and then played those back "how I am going to fish the classic..."...

Kim is cute and then it ends... can't imagine why her...

I'm sitting at work watching this program. The girl with the English accent has got to go. She is TERRIBLE! They need to have someone ther that actually knows SOMETHING about fishing. Her "canned" excitement is sickening...

I realize they are trying to market to newer groups and age groups, but having someone from Australia (not English), being your lead reporter 'on the scene' is stretching it. Especially when it's a lady.

Let's remember, they are going to be feeding us the information that they want us to hear all the way up to this evening. Very interesting to actually be in the production area (arena) and see what's happening, and then see the tape.

Tex

Both thumbs DOWN. Got up this morning watched for awhile and kept wondering when the REAL coverage was going to begin. Wandered off to another program and checked back to ESPN 2 a little later and they were re-running the very same boring crap they had earlier in the morning!!! Hard to believe that ESPN owns BASS. I think the Golf Channel could have covered the Classic better.

Very typical of a good product that is bought by a huge corporation, then *&^(* up by all the pointy headed geeks that have spent their lives in a classroom and never even tried to learn what the real world is all about. You can see examples in everything from Famous Amos to Lands End.

Harpo

They showed a few "film clips" of the action from the previous day..... The herky-jerky, speeded-up action, poor resolution type stuff you get on a web cam playback..... I don't watch web cams either, ESPN2.

The only real interview I saw was with Earl Bentz..... Aren't his boats getting enough coverage already? Guess what, Earl, I met you once at a boat show and you weren't nearly so smiley; guess I shoulda had money in my hand, huh?

I would have LOVED it if they had done half an hour on the kids tournament! They barely got an honorable metion.

I'm sick and tired of the same film clip of jerk baits hanging by their noses just before they cut to something that isn't at all what we'd expect.

What a bummer, ESPN2. You've completely blown your chance to really portray all the concentration, competition, tension and excitement of a tournament.

To Tommy Sanders..... I'm so sorry..... I think that, in general, you're an excellent host..... You must be very embarrassed to have had this show in your contract.....

me

Let's remember something here, before we go off the deep end. This is same day and live coverage. Not trying to bash the FLW product, but they have not even attempted this type of coverage.

Next week, you'll be able to tune in and see the post-classic show (I think), that has full production capability put into it. Then judge it.

Yes, they re-ran the Breakfast show this morning, because they wanted to get the West Coast crowd the same thing.

It's very easy for many of us to bash the 'I need instant information now' mentality that the internet and all news networks tend to have.

They will learn from this, and hopefully make it better. Covering an event that goes over three days, and happens over an 8-10 hour time period every day (on the water in a LARGE VENUE) is no easy trick.

Let me ask this question. How did you watch the Classic 3 or 4 years ago?

Keep it in perspective.

Tex

I'll agree that this is probably a "learning curve" show for them this year. However, if you watch the Super Bowl, you don't see re-run info after an hour or two of the pre-game show.

In any event, I'm sure that they will learn from the experience.

Just so ya know.....you can always change the channel or go fishing!!!

Bob G.

I had my alarm set to get up to watch it today.....it went off and i slept in a little bit

I take it i didn't miss a whole lot

BJ

BJ - You're right. You didn't miss a thing.

Bob - I did change the channel.

Brian - The television learning curve started almost 60 years ago.

Tex - Maybe they should turn on TNT and watch live coverage of NASCAR; look at what they do with in-car cameras. Maybe they should listen to Benny Parsons; THAT'S how a reporter should sound, not like Olivia Newton John. (Cute with Travolta; not so in a bass boat.)

Dude,...I was THERE!!!(Thurs-Sat.)...Watched it live and on the tv's where they were on, in hotels, restaurants and bars etc... It's "typical" ESPN coverage....if you think the tv coverage was boring,...try sitting thru a 3-4hr weigh-in!!

What normally should take 2hrs at the MOST, took 4 BECAUSE of the commercial breaks for TV.

They (ESPN) have to come up with something better to keep people entertained during those live televised weigh-ins or they can forget about "mass appeal"....it's BOOOORING!!!!

I pay nearly $100 a month for cable TV. I don't give a dang about 90% of it; don't care about the Lifetime Channel or the Golf Channel or the Lawn Mowing Channel...BUT I DO CARE about sports and that's why I tune into the ELECTRONIC SPORTS PROGRAMMING NETWORK because that's what they do. And I do expect better quality coverage than I got. Frankly, I think ESPN has been doing a sorry job of it for some time now especially considering that they own B.A.S.S. About the only bass fishing programing they have on a weekly basis now is Jimmy Houston and even he goes crappie fishing every now and then. The rest of the time ESPN is showing fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fly fishing in the ocean......BORING. Bass fishing is passion that that is sweeping the nation rivialing NASCAR in popularity. I just belive that a network that specializes in LIVE sprorting events could do a better than average job of covering it.

Sorry for the rant. Actually the weigh in is on now and it's pretty good.

Harpo

Keep in mind that we are all fisherman and a lot of us tourney fisherman....things that we find interesting and want to see would likely make newbies or non-fishermen flip the channel which does not grow the sport.

I did not think it was great coverage from my perspective but I felt it was an improvement from years past and would help to mainstream fishing. I guarantee I will have people at work, who are not fisherman, tell me about the tourney they saw on TV...they will likely say it was a bit goofy. I will then get the chance to talk with them explaining what it is really all about and invite them out for a trip in the Nitro to experience it first hand...in that reguard it is a success.

I would like to have seen ESPN show ALL the weigh in's. Instead of the stuff they showed over and over again today. It was pretty dull.

Mark,...dude....who are you and what planet are you from?

And also....in the entire final cut of 25, there were only 2 anglers from the Left Coast, so i don't think they're ruling anything, grab another tissue and dry your eyes, maybe you'll see it better....so HARHARHAR Froggin baby...whatever the hell that means.

In two weeks, when the FLW has their Championship, I'd like everyone to again chime in with how good the live FLW coverage is.

Oh yeah, I forgot. They don't have any.

I'll post up under a different thread on my day at the Finals.

Tex

Texas, "Especially when it's a lady". I guarantee you I could do a better job than most of the male reporters on ESPN. Don't think it's gender, it's picking the right people for the job.

Teri,

No insult intended. Just didn't really seem that she was that knowledgeable about the sport. Maybe she is, but it didn't come across that well (IMHO).

Now, if they truly would have gotten one of the many fine female pro's to be there 'on the water reporter', that would have been great.

Tex

She is an aussie guys....lol

British....you guys are killing me.

I really cannot comment on the coverage because I was there. That was brutal.

FLW HAS done this before....and still does. All FLW weigh-ins are live on the WalMart network (shown in Superstores all over the country) and they did for one year live on PAX. (and I might admit they did a better job, albeit their "showdown" weigh-ins are more suited for live tv than the BASS version.)

Everyone fails to expose the technical difficulties of the event causing a major delay. Charlotte was pounded with rain when they need to upload the stream via sattelite. It was mentioned during the weigh-in....I am sure that caused alot of the delay. Someone needs a back up plan.....

Mini

My complaint was that they kept repeating the same updates throughout the day.

"KVD has just put his third keeper in the boat"

Yeah I know,I saw it the last THREE times you showed it.Now show me how some of the other guys are doing.

It seems to me you could have watched it at noon,and then the weigh in and seen everything that they showed for five hours.

But I do believe next year WILL be better.

All I have to say is this....my wife watched the final weigh in and liked it. She H-A-T-E-S fishing shows. Enough of the emotion got through that it was a good show in my book. I had a hard time trying to explain to her just how many ways you get to the classic. Was that covered anywhere? A little background instead of showing Ray Scott dumping bass in a jon boat full of ice would have been better.

TOXIC

Well Mr. Neeley.. Dude.. Bass anglers have been screaming for some respect and coverage!!! ESPN did that!! If you are a hard core Bass fisherman we finally got something close to that, and you cannot deny that!!

The super bowl gets what like seven thousand hours of coverage and it gets boring as well, Bass fans got a ton of coverage on a broadcasted well watched network ESPN. Whether it be ESPN 2 or not!!

AS for the West Coast guys having a great showing maybe I need to quit logging and posting here!! If this site is a network of you good ole boys from the South, Mid West, East!! I have been a proud owner of Nitro's out here in Calif. for seven years and take the heat for it. (Nitro is not popular in Calif.) Soon to own a Ranger!!

West coast guys fishing Sunday take a Look my friend!!

Arron Martens

Skeet Reese

John Murrey

Kermit HAR HAR Froggin Dean Rojas

Not to Mention that Jay Yelas and Gary Klein got their start on the West Coast!! Gary had a bad tournament it happens!! He is Form Oroville my home Lake!!

I thought the coverage on TV. was good I mean how FREAKIN exciting is it to watch folks trying to catch Bass!! you know as well as I it is tough. Fishing a tournament for five bites is tough. It is not like the 1/2 hour taped/edited Dance, Parker, Houston shows that make it seem so so simple!!! Get a Clue the normal angler buys that crap and that's what it is Crap!!! Hard core T guys do not!! This coverage showed what it is all about!!

A Tourney guys perspective, maybe I should not have posted this in this manner and please do not take it all negative or personal!!

Mark

Mark...dude...as I said, only 2 out of the top 25 are from the West Coast.

Last time I checked, California, Oregon, and Washington were the only West Coast states.

Texas is on the Gulf, and I'm pretty sure Arizona doesn't have any oceanfront property...

Don't worry, I don't think anyone will take your post negatively or personal, we tolerate quite a few Left Coast fellows among our membership!!! LOL

We even got this one guy who thinks Oklahoma still has a good football team all these years after Barry Sanders!!!

BTW Sooner...."Get the ring out"...I don't get it...help a brotha out here LOL

ARIZONA DOESN"T HAVE ANY OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY... Then what the heck did I buy from that guy with the pomade hairdo at the State Fair...

Gee I guess I coule be considered a WestCoaster....I was born in California....lol

Who give a flying bleep where they are from, they can catch em!

Mini

To quote mini from another post...

"at times you amaze me at your level headed thinking."

Right on, brother John!!! Those guys are fish-catchin' machines!

Craig

Don't lump me in with them Northern Yanks!! Since when does East West North or South have squat to do with anything?? A Japanese National won it for cryin out loud!!LOL!! Who's claiming credit for that one?

TOXIC

BRING BACK BOB COBB!!! That guy knew how to cover a tourney and actually show some fishing and catching in the process. Granted he had a few weeks or even a month to edit, but surely there was and still is some insight there.

I was glad to have so much air time(notice I didn't say coverage) and I didn't get to watch it all, but it was still better than watching a guy try to line up a three foot put for ten minutes!! It is finally time we got our due and hopefully the coverage will get better. I personally would like to see more fishing and talking to pros, like in the E-50's, than all the blah-blah, and a few more weigh in's.imho

Tim King

Latest posts

Back