Cranking battery charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
I sent Sue an email a couple of weeks ago concerning her recommendations on a 2 bank charger for my bay boat. Never got a response? May have been dumped into the SPAM system.

Anyway.....I have 2 cranking batteries on my bay boat with a Pergo battery switch that enables me to use battery 1, 2, or both batteries at the same time. If I forget to turn the battery switch to the off position, one or both of the batteries is dead or close to it the next time I visit the lake. The only thing that I am aware of that pulls any power is the am/fm radio clock. I replaced one of the 2 batteries last fall and probably need to replace the other. The two trolling batteries are from the same manufacturer, but are deep cell trolling batteries. They are hooked to a Minn Kota 2 bank charger that came with the boat when I purchased it. Those batteries are as strong as the day I purchased the boat. My guess is that they have remained strong because I keep them plugged in to the charger 24/7.

I want to put another 2 bank charger on my boat for the cranking batteries. Is there a special charger that I need to maintain my cranking batteries or will any 2 bank charger do the job. Don't really need a fast charger, but more of a maintain of the charge on the batteries so when I go to the lake my batteries will be full like the trolling batteries.

I know Guest is the way to go, but what model? Also, does it void the warranty if I cut the plug off the end of the chager and install the on board plug to make the connections faster?

Thanks,

Bryan

Any Guest 2 bank will work, the older battery is pobably sucking the life out of the new one, or you have a drain somwhere in the system. Too test for a drain select a battery with your switch, remove the neg terminal from the battery, connect a test light between the battery post and the cable. If it lights up there is a drain somwhere in the system, if it does not light system good suspect older battery? Check both batteries anyway in case there is a problem with the switch.

BF

Latest posts

Back