Craig's List Scam

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Eder2

Reaction score
Put my boat on Craig's list last Saturday and within an hour had a person that wanted to buy it sight un seen.First bell should have gone off.Then after a couple of emails he says he is working out of the country but his secratary will take care of the shipping and paperwork.Hes going to send me extra money to cover the shipping cost but I have forward this 3500 to someone in California.Bell number 2 should have gone off.He sent me a fake cashiers check and wants the shipping money sent to Cal.After some investigation we discover the scam. Be careful. First of all,anyone on this website knows we don't buy boats sight un seen.It was close.Beware of this scum of the earth.

Good catch. I deal a lot with Craigs list and for the most part it is a good thing but there are alays the scamers. The one you ran into is a very common one.

Dude, that scam has been gvoing on forever. When I sell my rig it is only going on a few select websites. Ebay and Craigs list are not on the lists. Preferably it will go to someone I know.

TOXIC

I sell on CR fairly often and I too received emails like this. The last one was just two days ago from "Rev Bill somethin-or-nother". I guess the Reverand part was supposed to gain my trust. He wanted my name,address, and phone so he could send me a check for my couch and have his "representitive" pick up the merchandise. This is a pretty common scam. I just emailed him back and thanked him for the interest but I only deal "in person in cash"

YEP, usually if its too good to be true, it is exactly that. I have dealt with them scams alot. Glad you caught on earlier enuf.

Just a few weeks ago I had two different guys trying to sell me the exact same car on the AutoTrader site. One was scamer and the other legit. I turned it over to Autotrader and have heard nothing since. The really scary thing was that they both had the same AutoTrader ad number. If I had not printed out both ads there would be no record. Not sure how he hijacked an ad, but there were too many red flags in the scammer's version I had to respond just to see what happened.

I had one of these loosers pull a no show on me when they came to look at my boat. Gave him my address and he calls me the next day to apologize, says he found another boat. He acted kinda weird on the phone too. I had a bad feeling too ; nothing beats intuition that we all have in us. Good thing I have a weird work schedule. This guy and his buddy pull up to my house in the middle of the day. I have my truck parked in the back yard. I was working on the deck in the backyard and my black lab goes ape $$@$$#$ and I look in the driveway, and some guy is backed in my driveway and he gets out of the truck. I ask if I can help him and he says he was the guy who was suppose to show the day before. I was furious. I told him to go pound sand and then pulled out my phone and started shooting pics of his plates / truck / and him and his buddy. Told them that next time he comes over to my house, I will introduce him to my friend Mr Remington 870. This guy had the full intention of driving off with my boat. What kills me is the audasity and the way they went about doing it. I will defintely be packing heat in hand for the next person looking at my boat.

I have never met someone at my house to show them car/boat, I always meet at a gas station or store near my neighborhood. Easier for them to find and safer for everyone.

Latest posts

Back