??? Centrifugal Brake Set-up ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky P

Reaction score
Guys, I appreciate your help and comments on my post on the Extreme Baitcasters.

What I have done was exchanged the Curado and Crankin' Stick and bought (2) L/H Extremes a 5.2:1 and a 6.3:1, an Extreme 7ft. Med. Woo Crankbait rod and a 6'6" Med. Woo Spinnerbait rod. For what I'm trying to achieve this season and become somewhat proficient with it, for the money they will work fine. For the 1/4 to 3/8 oz. baits they should be fine. I like the action of the rod tips and that may mean more to me than the reel.

My question is, when I first try to set my brake pins up should I start out with engaging (3) of them at first. Skipping every other one. Or maybe (4) with 2 on skip 1 and 2 more on and the 6th. being off. I guess they work better if they are balanced. In a mechanical sense this makes sense to me. Correct me if I wrong. Just wanted to get your take on it.

Toxic, Thanks for your reply in my previous post. It's not a matter of going and buy a quality spinning reel. I've been fishing quality Shimano and Daiwa reels on St. Croix Rods for a long while. I have no intention of getting away from spin fishing. I still intend to crankbait, worm, grub, and tube fish that way. It is just after many, many years of spin fishing I owe it to myself to give this (baitcasting) a whole hearted shot. I do agree with your opinion and you are 100% correct. Also I don't bank fish, I river fish from a boat. Not quite sure what that has to do with baitcasting though. Reply back if you want to. I do respect yours and all opinions of others. I'm looking forward to some changes for me this upcoming season.

I just wanted to get started off right baitcasting with 2 decent quality set-ups without breaking the bank. To do it with one would not work for me because if it got bound up I would be reaching for a spinning reel, now the 2nd. BC will be onboard. I do not figure baitcasting to be a cake walk.

I would start with three on and three off skipping every other one and work from there. After you get the brakes setup most of the sdjustments will be made with the knob on the side and not the brakes themselves. One tip on the knob, dont over tighten it because it will cause you to backlash more because you will try to cast harder to compensate. set it up so that the lure falls at freely and the spool dosent spin out of control. the easy way to tell is to hold the rod tip up and let the lure fall to the ground, if its too loose thhe spool will keep spinning freely as the lure hits the ground, to tight and the lure wont fall freely. As you learn you can loosen the knob more and as you feel comfortable learning to thumb the spool.

Latest posts

Back