Can Someone Identify This Turtle?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Hey All,

found this turtle under my dock in Bow Lake NH yesterday. It had a 8" dead large mouth in its mouth. The shell was probably 14" across.

We have never seen a turtle anywhere near our house in the past as the lake is deep and clear. Most of the turtles are small painters that hang near some back water areas.

Any ideas of what type of turtle this is? surely no snapper as it didnt have a sharp beak or seraded shell.

IMG_4149.jpg
IMG_4150.jpg

I believe thats what we call a Freshwater Loggerhead Snapping Turtle down here. Dont know it might be something different up there. The ones down here can get really big. 2ft accross, 3ft long, more then 100yrs old, and over 150lbs.:D

Its shell looked smooth, not like the other large snappers i have seen in some smaller swampy ponds in MA/NH.

strange to find it in a clear lake like Bow on the main lake body dont you think?

I first thought it was a snapper but didnnt recognize its shell. Dont they ussually have sharp ridges on the out edge?

did you see the sinder block next to it? that was one big freekin turtle.

Yep it's a snapper. No view of the tail and that's how I tell them. Obviously a painted, red ear or slider would have face and shell markings. My daughter, the Steve Irwin of the family, used to wade ponds and dig up snappers with her feet then catch them.

with her feet? thats nuts.

The tail was stubby and rounded at the end.

My daughter doesnt want to go swimming in the lake any more after seeing that thing. I told her she will never see that thing again around the dock. It better not make a liar out of me.

The girl is fearless. I told her it was a good way to lose a toe!!:lol: Unfortunately it will be around, they don't travel too far but are not a concern. I've seen them as big around as a trash can lid. :eek:

That Is some of the best eating there Is..Snapper all the way and REALLY fine eating a little tough to clean but worth It...I trapped them In my younger years.You can get a premium for the meat....JR

i just cant imagine eating that thing. i think ill stick with shopping at the butcher.

Latest posts

Back