Brain Cramp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I've noticed that since I hooked up the new troller, my batteries are not lasting like they should (new batteries as well) granted the Everstarts dropped down in RC from 210 to 185 but it seemed like the new motor even though its got a higher thrust rating from 67 on the old to 71 on the new, wasn't performing as well or as long as the old one. Drained the batteries yesterday and forgot to plugin last night so, before the trailer went to the shop today I plugged it in and the starter battery was green from the get-go (normal) and both trollers were red. What caught my attention is that one troller went to green/red and then green long before the other. The only difference in the 2 TM's is that the old had a 12/24 switch and the new one is 24 only. I thought maybe my jumper was bad (it is a little corroded but as I looked before I was going to switch it out (got a new one with the new motor) I noticed my troller hooks up different than a straight 24. I have 3 leads for the troller batteries, 1 orange, 1 red and 1 black. Both coming out of the rear through 50amp breakers (red buttons mounted) Now I am only working with 2 batteries (battery 1 and 2 for discussion sake)and the orange and red both go to positive sides of both batteries. The black is a ground and it hooks to the negative of battery 1. I have a jumper from the positive of battery 1 to the negative of battery 2 (open post, nothing connected). The plug at the TM is a 3 prong that came with the motor into the 3 prong outlet on the boat. Is it possible I amd only running on 12v? The charger has got me thinking. And yes I checked the breakers are both good.

TOXIC

put a volt meter into the plug on the boat and see what you get.you might have some crossed wires from the switch to the batteries.

mike c

you could drop it by the house and i can take a llok at it and drop it off next time i go to florida. if thats easier.

Sure, as long as you put new seats and carpet in it!!:lol: I don't have a dang volt meter, I think my neighbor abscounded with it. I'm just trying to see if the dang wiring is right before I go looking at a bad battery, crossed wires, bad plug, etc.

TOXIC

I can help ya hammer with the carpet of the seats...you can leave here for a bit if you need to.

I also have a MM, if you need one, or just swing by and we can go fishing where there are soem REAL bass...no, not St Clair either HAHAHHAHA

The three wire system is how the old tm was wired (12/24 Switch) If you take the cover off of the new plug on new TM it should only have to wires (one Red, one Black) You will only need two wires running from the batteries to the Plug on the boat now. Pull the plug out of the boat and see wich two match up to the plug on the new TM. If you are lucky it will be the red and the black. Now at the batteries the jumper wire goes between pos 1 and neg 2. Leaving pos 2 and neg empty, thats where you want to hook up your TM wires so you can run on 24 volt like it was made for.

BF

it sounds easy bruce, but toxic is going to have to wait for his wife to come home and show him which one is the screwdriver/ hahahaha

give us an update tox.

mike c

Thanks Bruce...I just had a feeling that I was runnin on 12 and not 24!! So, I can un hook the orange hot wire, correct? That is if the plug on the boat matches red/black. I assume if it is orange black, I can just un hook the red cable. I can't go look since the boat is in the shop but I'll pull it apart as soon as I get it back. .

CIII, it's at American Trailer in Manassas. Nothing for the boat, it's all about the trailer. Wanted to get it looked at before I yank it to Wisconsin. No time for me to do it.

Thanks again Bruce.

TOXIC

Rodger that hammer. Again, I will help with the carpet and stuff if you want.....your call. You buy the stuff and I will do the labor.

Might cost you a rod or two :eek:

Tox,

Brice is right it coulc be either the red of orange depending on how you wired the plug. Normally in a 12/24 setup the orange is the 24volt leg. A simple process of elimination will tell you which one you used. The dead lead you can just zip tie it up somwhere to take any confusion out of the way.

I would take a good look at the plug for sure. They get badly corroded and can cause all sorts of issues. Mine got swo bad my motor had no power on my old boat and i helped a friend change his this season, his brand new batteries were only lasting like 3 hours and the were dead. The new plug cured it.

As far as what your seeing on the charger that could be somewhat normal. Every batery will have its own internal resistance and they will all charge at differnet rates.

What you need to do is take a voltage reading after you have used them for the day( you need to get a new meter..) and if one batteery is severely discharged and one isnt then you could have a battery problem indeed. I have had that happen in the past where one battery would be cooked and the other was 80% chrged or more. That was caused by one battery having a bad/shorted plate. Ive had that happen more then once actually and it's one of the reasons i hate everstarts.

I'm pretty sure like a dunce, I just assumed the new motor was plug and play because the plug matched the one in the boat. I will say that if it is running on 12v, which I think it is, it does one heck of a job lasting all day:lol::lol: Looking at the setup in the back told me that there was something amiss!! I don't think it matters which is the 24v circut because both are the same gage and on 50 amp breakers. Dang thing has been installed for almost a year and I just now figured it out:p I'll probably throw myself off the deck when I get it right!! I don't understand why MG did away with the 12/24 switch, I used it on my old motor when it was dead calm and I didn't want to spook the fish. Also save on Battery life if I had 2 clients in the boat and didn't need all of the motor. Now I have a "constant on" and an all the time high or "5" settings on the switch side, neither of which I use:huh:

TOXIC

I use constant on when I am working an area and have a definitive destination in mind. Works well for me when the tide and wind are somewhat consistant....

Other then that, I am stop and go....

Family trip every year to Waupaca Chain of Lakes. Been doing it for 9 or 10 years now. My wife's father grew up in Waupaca, his parents owned the hardware store. I also usually meet up with some of the other members here for a day of real fishing:lol: Last Year, Greg and his son met another guy (not from the site (John)) and we did Green Bay, in other years, we have fished the Wolf River and Winiconnie with Corey and TJ, both members here as well. Usually I have to protect Greg Meyer from irate river rat homeowners when he tosses baits on their retaining walls!!:lol: Or if he's not busy extracting rattletraps from the head of a tourist. Yepper, we got's lots of stories:lol: This year I think the pow-wow is going to be on lake Geneva if I remember right. Greg will have the details all I do is show up (if I don't get lost that is).

TOXIC

Make it a point to!! The more the merrier!! On the Wolf and Winiconnie, I yanked my boat out of the chain (I could guide on those lakes!!) but for GB, I rode in a nice Deep V Ranger and we needed the whole thing!! I don't know what I am going to do this year, depends on who shows, it's always a good time.

TOXIC

Went out last night after I picked up the boat and sho-nuff only 2 wires in the TM plug. I was a little spooked because it said 12/24 on the plug. Pulled the in dash from the boat and 3 wires were in there. Big gage sucka's too!! Luckily they were the same colors as the feeds off the batteries so it was pretty simple to just remove the "hot" wire from the battery that didn't match up to the plug. Tested the TM and it sure acted like it had a lot more power....we'll see when I get it on the water in Wisconsin. Got a fair bill from the shop (re-pack, brake pads, mount, fix, rotate tires, run a new wire, hook up a new light plug, etc) but I got home and when I went to put the cover on, I noticed there was no center bar light?????WTF!! Gotta call them today and I figure I'll be layin on the ground putting another one on this weekend. That means it will rain!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back