BPS Pro Qualifier rods sound cool when they break! :)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks williams

Reaction score
I broke a medium action BPS Pro Qualifer rod IN HALF while setting a hook Wednesday. Nearly fell out the boat when it snapped! This was the first trip I've used the rod. They arent cheap, and figure this is just a individual defect. BTW, I caught the fish, a skinny, scrappy 14" LM. I have 2 questions:

Has anyone else had a problem with these rods?

Will BPS exchange the broken BPS rod for another from a different manufacturer (All Star, St. Croix, etc.)?

On a better note, it turned out to be a memorable day for other reasons. Between the 2 of us, we boated 70+ in 5 hrs. All little boys though, none over 2 or 3 lbs, but still way too much fun. Dontcha hate overpopulated and underfished lakes!? lol

brooks

I've been using PQ rods for 3 years now,....have never had one break. Take it back to the store and they'll exchange it for you with no hassles. I doubt they'll let you swap it for another brand...but they will let you exchange it for another PQ. They are excellent rods....you just got a defective one...it can happen with ANY rod...regardless of the mfgr or the price!!

Sounds like a plan!!...I'm going to the MI. store tomorrow a.m. too....need to get a few more things before I leave for AR. a week later!!

Mac

I've got some great news for you. First, they're on sale for $79.99. Second, they're the "new" PQ, that have the holographic logo on them. The rods are supposed to be stroger, lighter, and more sensitive than last years.... so, you'll get to "upgrade" in all likelihood for free.

That's correct....you will get a better rod (Wasn't sure how old his broken one is)...but the new rods are MUCH better than the older ones....plus they're on sale as you said! (got my flyer in y'day's mail too!!)

Had one break last year in the truck. My grandfather took the truck and JAMMED on the brakes. Well the top 8" of the rod didn't give and snapped off. But that's the only reason. It was a spinning rod though and I only ever used 8lb max on it, so even the hardest hook sets wouldn't bust it. I have cracked flippin rods before when my drag was too tight, using 20lb fireline and setting the hook deep on a fiesty piece of drift wood! LOL

Latest posts

Back