Book Value of my Boat

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the book value of my PT185 other than NADA, the NADA only goes up to 2003.

I'll give ya' 2 dollars for it:) LOL Surely your not thinkin' of gettin' rid of it...are ya'?

Tee, I seen a Nitro 1998 884 for $9.9k from a boat dealer and was just trying to get an idea on what my 04 is worth. Don't get me wrong, I love my PT 185, I only have one issue with it that causes a great disadvantage to me.

The wind is killin me, I'm always spinning and unable to keep position during breezy days.

Chris, that's the only big complaint I have with my 185. I don't know if it helps or not but I gave about $9800 for my 2001 in 2002. I think a new one would have been about $11,500 all rigged out.

Harpo

Chris, won't the 884 get pushed around by the wind? I yell at the wind sometimes (of course that makes the wind God blow even harder)but unless it's a typhoon, I don't have much of a problem keeping my PT-17 in position..

Bill

I can tell ya' right now what will help without buying a new one. Go get ya' a Gatormount which will make a BIG diff. There's one on the Swap&Sell board for $70...I payed $60 for mine so you know it's a good deal especially on a new one. Those flimsy original mounts suck bath water...really terrible:( I'm still a little under powered but, not bad. I may upgrade next year but, the mount will make a difference:) Hope this helps:)

I'm going to have to think about it, to think it's less than six months old and sell it is almost crazy, but I would probably get the most money for it before this season is over. My plan was to keep the PT 185 for a real long time as a second boat or sell it in about 5 years and get a bigger bass boat when my sons are bigger and need more room.

Oh well, I will probably do nothing for now.

Tee, do you run two batts @ 12/24 volt? My mount is getting squeaky when fishing and sometimes need to keep it on lowest level when quietly fishing. I was thinking of upgrading the TM and adding another TM Battery, but that's probably $1k.

Bill, I think the freeboard on my 185 is the biggest problem with the wind. I would assume the glass boat would sit lower in the water.

If I could swap my 04 185 with a 98 884 150 merc and cost me nothing I wouldn't have to shell out anymore cash.

Pat, thanks for the reply, that red nitro you had the other day is burning an image in my head. So I would get about $9,500 for mine. It's in new condition, no modifications. Heck it;s still has blue letters on the tires.

Pat, have you rigged any 185's for 24 volt or 12volt parralel? If yes, was all three batts in the compartment? And I assume I would need to upgrade the TM harness for 24 volt?

That's just more weight when you add another battery(which don't want to do unless I have to). I'd get a Gator and move up to 56 lb...that should do it:) My 43 ain't that weak....you may want to check your battery and connections. I get blowed around a little but,only in real windy conditions. Your boat should already be set-up for 24 volts....

Harpo - A new 2004 185 with the base 50hp Merc is 11,595, plus you have to figure in Frieght, Rigging and taxes. Usualy i've found that to be about $1k on a 10k rig (as an average), so you're talking about $12,600 out the door with no extras and the base motor.

Chris - what motor do you have on your 185? The other thing to think about, is that 20% depreciation Patt mentions is IF you can find a buyer to buy it from YOU. A trade in to a dealer will be MUCH Less, don't know exactly that will depend on the dealer, the location and the dealers view how quick he could re-sell your 185.

Just things to think about. Because if you buy the 884, and it takes you 6-8 months to sell the 185 and you end up only getting say $8,500 because you need the cash, well???

Trep

Trep,

Thanks

It has a 60hp

I agree with what you say, 20% depreciation blows when the boat is only six months old. The 185 was paid in cash and I would not buy the 884 if the 185 is not sold. The dealer with the 884 may want the 185 as a trade? The 884 has been sitting there at least 6 months and the Trackers seem to move fast around here!

I really need to think it over, and I would only do it if it was nocash out of pocket. I would have a horsehead in my bed for sure from the wife!

Chris

Well there ya' go Chris:)! If your tradin' up...They'll give you a GOOD trade in...trust me:) Done it:)

Chris - Not saying anything about glass vs. tin, if you own the 185, and you want a 884, talk to the dealer! There is NOTHING that you'll find out if you DON'T!!!! Heck he might offer you a GREAT price on the 185 because he got a CHEAP deal on the 884.

Heck, you saw my post on the Q4 SF, if one of the Tracker dealers called me and said "Hey we've got a floor model Q4SF that we need to move, its got everything you want, we'll make you a deal" I'd definetly look at it!! I know about what my PC 175 is worth on the open market, and could sell it quickly.

Let us know what you do!!!

Rumor on the horizon says there maybe an 19 fotter added to the line-up. Any truth in that Patt? Oh Paaaatt!!!!!!?

Will do, I'm just kidding about the glass vs. tin thing.

(But not about the wife) Her father is in the concrete/mason business!

Tee, you sure about the 24volt harness? Just to clarify the TM seems to handle the wind just fine, (although I would prefer a longer charge), my real problem is just the wind constantly knocking me out of position when I'm not on the TM.

Yeah...If you look in the back where the batteries are...There should be an "extra orange" cable back there:)

Tee - Is that a rumour of a standard PT 19fter or a Avalanche type 19fter??

I think Tracker is missing a lot of the high end aluminium market where Xpress/Triton/G3 all have 18-20 ft aluminium hulls running 150-200+ hp !!

OK, I will look tonight. (That would be great news)

Another question if you don't mind for you & Harpo, you said that you ran your wires to the bow for fshfinder etc. along the gunwhale? So how do you attach the wire to the gunwhale?

Yes they are definitely missing out:( I said that from the time they went "all welded":)

Craig I attached the wire with the little plastic loops that you can get at Lowe's or just about any hardware store. I just used really small screws...also wrap the wire once all the way back with electrical tape. It will keep the UV from rotting your wires and protect it a little more:)

Trep...my buddy thought it was along the Mod V line.

Tee - I wonder if they felt the Avalanche would be their answer, since it is a WAY better looking (and I belive better ride/handling) but still only an 18fter maxed with a 175hp! Tracker has done a LOT with the Tundra (18, 20, 21ft) including Sport models and the like!!

Of course a 19ft Avalanche Sport/Fish Ski would be WAY over my $20k mark for my 40th b-day, but it would look cool!!!!

Trep

TEE, so you never had to "take apart" the boat/deck. I can snake under seat,thru raised panel where throttle is, along console and then under gunwhale. At bow just take off bow panel and bring wire under bow and rescrew down angled bow panel?

Thanks BUD.

Chris, I ran the wire under the port side gunwhale. I bought some clips at Radio Shack but they proved to be a bigger PIA than they were worth so I used strips of duct tape. I know, I know it sounds horrible but really you can't even see it. The back deck is a lot tighter to the gunwhale, so there I just tucked it in real good. As soon as the wire gets to the back there is a hole just big enough to fish the wire through and then on over to the battery. I used solderless crimp on lugs to connect to the battery. The whole project took less than 1/2 an hour.

Trep, I'm sure you are right about the current prices of the PT-185. I was talking about a 2001 model and I was just guessing. I'm betting there's been a price increase since then.

Harpo

Pat, thanks for response on the batts.

Harpo, I can see your point about the gunwhale, you can't see anything unless you wanted to.

Last July, i ordered my NX882DC, and checked to see what the dealership would give me for a trade-in on my 1997 700LX, with a 90 Hp merc. I bought the boat new in 1997, and kept it 7 yrs. This boat was in excellent condition. I even contemplated upgrading to a 125 Hp merc, but alot of $$$$$(about $5,000.00 w/ 90 Hp exchange). The dealership said they would allow me $5,500.00 for my '97 700LX, on trade-in towards the '04 NX882DC They also told me to advertise it, while i was waiting for my 882 to be built. I advertised it for $7,500.00, and got $7,000.00 for it. I figure i must have paid $15,000.00 new for it, and had it 7 yrs and lost 50%. Thats my 2 cents worth.

CJL,

Just curious....if the TM handles fine with wind, then what's the problem?

I've never been able to hold a spot in the wind by doing nothing...if you're not counteracting the wind in some way, it's gonna blow ya.

Generally, in the water we fish, the only time we're not on the trolling motor is if we're landing a fish.

A drift sock may help you out, too.

The best way to counter the wind is with weight and resistance. When you can, lower the gas motor and put it in gear until you are running the electric all out. The other thing is fill up the livewell and gas tank. With water and gas, respectively. Then carb load by having the wife make you pasta and meatballs and you'll be set.

BUT, upgrade to the 24v because you'll need the thrust after all the added weight. Replace the 50lb 12v with 2 80lb series 31s in those useless storage bins and you sit low enough to have water to push against. Replace the wiring with 6awg.

Latest posts

Back