boat covers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on covers made by Aurora Canvas? I am thinking about having them make one for my 882 since my Nitro factory one is now junk. Has anyone here had one made by them? How is it holding up? Does it fit good, trailer well etc? The big question, does it keep your boat dry?

Currently i have a Nitro factory for my 882 and last week it ripped at one of the seams. I spoke to the people at Dowco and they told me its covered by warranty but pro-rated. At this point since i have had it about 4 years i would have to pay 75% of the msrp for a replacment. That would cost me almost $80 more then to just get a new one just like it from Bass pro. WTF kind of warranty is that? I have never really been happy with this cover to begin with because from pretty much day one it has leaked and dowco has been less then responsive in dealing with it. The other problem i have with it is the fit, one of the straps lines up with the fender and has to be rerouted and the other side is fine( not a really quality job if you ask me) it lines up just over a rear crossmember on the trailer. Needless to say i think i want a better cover. I am thinking aoout the Aurora top of the line acrylic coated poly, with a built in motor hood. This is thier heavy trailerable version.

Any thoughts?

Aurora makes some of the best in the business.... and they know it.... and they charge it. :D:D

I had them make me a heavy canvas type cover for my 1994 Cajun 171, and it was the most perfect fitting, well made cover I have ever laid my eyes on. Re-enforced at all critical areas, not only with double stitching, but with nice thick padding, etc... - at the windshield, trolling motor, etc... The only problems with it was the weight - it was very heavy, and was kind of a bear to get on and off due to the weight, and the "breathability" - canvas just doesn't breathe. If your boat is slightly damp, you wouldn't want to put this cover on, because it would never dry. However, that Cajun 171 is long gone - doesn't even exist anymore, due to structural problems - Cajun took it back..... and the cover is still being used. I gave it to someone I know that needed a cover for a Tracker aluminum boat. It doesn't even come close to form fitting that boat at all, but he cinches down the straps, and it keeps the water and leaves out of his boat. Now I think that says something about a cover - 12 years old, and still in use.

I don't know about their new ones, as most of covers I have owned since then are lightweight models from either BPS or Cabelas. The one I have right now is a "semi-custom fit" from Cabelas, and it's a decent cover. It has a built in bungee cord around the whole bottom part, which makes putting it on a boat very quick work. It is very easy to take off or put on, and I can do so very quickly. It's only a year old though, and I can already tell it's not going to last but maybe another year or so. The sun, rain, and snow reek havok on a boat cover.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

I think they may make exactly what im looking for and i dont mind paying the $$$ if its good. I want something that is going to last and be functional for a long time. Since i store my boat outside its important in my book. I want to keep it dry and protected from the elements. I dont mind itf its heavy, actually i thnk that might be a plus when trailering with it on. I like canvas because its nice and durable and should last. when i had my Champ i had a canvas one made by Deans top and canvas that i got with the boat. That cover was excellent, durable, dry etc. all the things im looking for but since they dont have a pattern for my boat they cant make me one unless i bring the boat to them. I called them first since i have used thier product in the past and liked it.

The cover i have now like i said has always pretty much leaked and it really hasnt lasted long at all. While my boat sits outside year round i get it shrinkwrapped in the winter so it has never seen any sort of heavy snow loads or anything like that, its only used from april to october then the wrap gets done. So for only being used 6 or 7 months a year it hasnt proven very durable.

Latest posts

Back