Boat cover mending

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Here's one for you: This past Friday evening a really strong thunderstorm came through our area, and needless to say it caused my boat cover support pole to fall. Didn't find-out about it till the next morning after the weather cleared. Quite a few gallons of rain water pooled on the cover, but didn't get into the boat :). To make a long story short, in my attempt to dump the water (which I accomplished) the cover shifted with the wind and my trolling motor prop put a nice rip in the cover.

I've got duct tape on it at the moment (to prevent further tearing). Looked through BPS and Cabela's catalogs and didn't see any repair kits. A friend suggested using an iron-on patch (like you'd put on a pair of torn pants, then posssibly sealing with a water repellant seam-sealer.

It's a generic $50 cover, but still want to keep the elements out of the boat. Think the iron-on patch would work ? probably look better than duct tape, lol :rolleyes:

I think the iron on patch will start curling up around the edges when the cover is in the weather. It might be worth a try though. Can't you sew a patch on?

Bill

yep, I thought of edges curling also. Good idea about sewing. My wife has a sewing machine and I may see if it'll work by sewing a patch on the outside and inside, then using seam-sealer on stitching. Or...sew the edges of the iron-on patch :wacko:

JC,

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good reason to trek on down to the BPS in Nashville :)

I have had an iron on patch on my cover for about six years. I hand stitched the edges and it shows no sign of coming off. Did this on a couple of places. So far so good.

fatrap

Thanks guys. Looks like a good project while I'm off :)

Greg, you might want to apply those patches on the inside where the cover comes in contact with any abrasive boat parts - Much like the high end covers that have certain areas that are reinforced.

Latest posts

Back