Best Flippin Stix under $200

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I think I will be doing alot of flipping on the Red River. Need a flippin stix to upgrade my arsenal. Pairing it with a Curado 200e. Any suggestions on size and action? From what I have read, 7'6", MH, fast action. Don't think I would be in situations requiring H too often. I usually fish with 6'6" or 7' rods.

Been looking at Carrot Stix, Shimano Crucial, Daiwa L&T (just bought the worm/jig rod and love it). Thoughts?

Can't go wrong with Powell. Look at the 765 or the 765 telescopic. Personally I prefer the 7'10" models but 7'6" is usually plenty. If you are truely only flipping, the longer the rod the farther you can get your lure out away from the boat. If you think you might have to pitch, the shorter rod is easier. I can pitch with an 8 footer but I'm 6' and I'm doing it from the front of the boat which means I can do it sideways. For the price of $169 with free shipping from Tackle Warehouse you will not be dissappointed.

NoCAL

TC,

Flippin is a whole different game and that is why there are rods made especially for it. You need a stiff butt (don't take that wrong :eek::lol: )with lots of backbone to horse fish out from heavy cover/weeds/wood. Personally I don't like a soft tip, you are using braid and superline hooks and you need to drive it home, a fast tip gives to much. I use the faster tipped heavy rods for C-Rigging. CastAway has a rod in the HG40 Series (Medium Heavy/7'6"/AFMH76-HG40) that will run you a buck fifty. Fantastic durable rod. BPS makes some good sticks in that price range as well but for flat out durability, you can't beat a CastAway. IMHO ;)

TOXIC

I'd steer clear of those orange bugs bunny rods, unless you can find a new one from a couple years ago. Major production issues with the "new" blend being cast. Warranty claims from breakage are way past industry norm. Just an FYI.

I would recomend a 7' Hvy or X Hvy 1-piece rod for you. If flippin' is not what you're used to or skilled at, you will be pitching more often then not. (Whether you realize it or not.) The 7' beef stick will handle both situations with the neede back bone. Doubles as an AWESOME frog rod too. Put 4 or 5 different brands in your hand before you choose which feels best, considering 8+ hrs. of it in your hand. ;)

Ok...flipping, pitchin...I do the one where you grab the bait and just kind of swing it to your target. I do not do the technique where you pull excess line out with your right hand and swing the bait.

Dan is right.You need a 7'H or Med Hvy. Med Hvy is easier with lighter baits. It really depends on the cover you are fishing. Since you are going to Texas get the Hvy.

You may want to look into the 7'H ProQ or 7'2"XH Johnny Morris Frog Rod. You can do both with that stick.

The ProQ is on sale right now online.

OK, sounds like you are just pitching. You'll need a shorter rod for that. I still would recommend a Powell. But since you are pitching, I'd drop down in length to a 735 or a 705. Personally I like a bit of tip for better accuracy but you need a ton of backbone for if you hook a fish in the thick stuff. I am not sponsered by Powell. They are a West Coast company and so not as popular across the country but believe me there are a ton of pros using them. If you get a chance to feel one in person, you'll be convinced. I just gave my 735 to my wife and she has started punching grass with 1.5 oz tungsten weights rigged to a Beaver. She pulled an 8 lber out from the Delta a couple weeks ago that came out with about 10 lbs of grass and weeds. My wife is 5'2 and she can pitch the 735 just fine.

NoCAL

I use the same one all the time. A St. Croix 7' MH Premiere. It is labelled a MH but really has closer to a hvy action. Try to get the older style Premiere that does NOT have a gloss finish. It's lighter and more sensitive. I have hauled plenty of 5-8 hogs out or serious cover with it. I use a Team Daiwa reel and 30 lb fireline if water color permits. In clearer water I use 20 lb Pline fluroclear. The rod retails for $100. But two!

I would put a lot of stock into what Rob says about flipping and pitching... I think he can put a bait into a three inch circle anytime he wants... I have watched him pick a bank/area clean....:eek:

I have a St. Croix MH with the wacky handle. I'm not impressed with the reel seet....it keeps loosening up.

Wacky handle? Not followig there ND.

Toxic is dead on about the Castaways too. When I was sponsored by them, I loved the HG40 7H flippin stick. I don't like telescoping rods, I think that you lose feeling from the joint....it's still a 2 piece rod. I use only 1 piece rods like the St Croix and Castaway. Unfortunately, I either nicked my HG40 or it had a small defect 3/4 of the way up the rod because during a tourney I set the hook on a 4 lber and like a gun shot, the rod snapped in two. Shortly thereafter, Castaway scaled WAY back on their prostaff and I was on the short list! So now since I have to pay for my rods, I use the St Croix and honestly find that I like every bit as much as the Castaway. I have not yet tried the new MoJos yet though. Again, they have gloss, it makes the rod more durable, but heavier and less sensitive. For jig fishing, feeling what your jig doing or not doing, and what it is hitting or running through is everything.

Plus with a well balanced flippin stick in your hands, after much practice it becomes and extension of your arm. You can manipulate the jig in mid cast/flip to wrap it behind stick ups or docks and do other neat stuff. :eek:

Look into RPM (RICK MORRIS CUSTOM RODS)...AMERICAN MADE..DESIGNED BY RICK.....I THINK YOU WOULD BE VERY VERY HAPPY.....WWW.RPM RODS.COM.......MENTION BOB AND GETR 25% off price...yes...I am part of his Staff.....but truely....they are great with a great warranty....best fishes....

Okay... The guys that I respect and value their opinion, Rob, Tox, Mini ALL suggest a MH or H Rod. Rob and Tox mention slower tipped rods... (Mini doesn't say....hmmm)...

The websites, catalogs, etc almost all have only "fast" tips on the flipping and pitching rods... I'm going with Rob and Tox unless someone convinces me otherwise. But, why the overwhelming choice of "fast" by the rod makers and marketers

I would go with the fast tip. It will be more sensitive and flippin/pitchin is a technique that you need sensitivity. Plus the initial drive of the hook is SO important.

A lighter action is needed for smaller baits and braided line. Some people like to use Mono (Berkley BigGame is popular) for the stretch. When you have a pool cue rod, braided line and only 5-10 feet of line out, something has to give.

Punching mats in Florida will teach Tox right :) and when Rob gets the chance to he will see.

One flippin/pitchin stick is hard to buy if you really want to cover all scenarios.

Up here when I pitch (and thats only for a few weeks in the spring with hardly any cover) I use a 6'9" MH with a fast tip, braided line and I back down on the drag a bit. I have to hear (or feel) the drag when I set the hook on a fish with that setup. The fish arent that big though (up to 5 pounds) but they are plentiful. Can get 100 a day easy when its right.

BUt I like Robs thinking about a telescopic rod. I dont own a one piece 7'6" flippin stick, but I wish I did.

Thanks for all the suggestions. BassPro did not have the Crucial in Heavy. I did look at several 7'Heavy rods, fast action. I ended up buying a 7'heavy,fast St Croix Mojo Bass Slop-N-Frog rod. After holding several, this one felt the best because it had a thinner rod grip. Fit my smaller hands better. I am pairing it with a Johnny Morris reel with 40lb Power Pro. Hopefully, will catch a hog or two on the Red.:cool:

Latest posts

Back