Battery Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Becker

Reaction score
What is the difference between a cranking battery, a dual purpose battery, and a deep cycle battery. I know a deep cycle has heavier plates and is made to be charged/discharged many times. A cranking battery is made to deliver short bursts to start your motor and does not have as heavy plates. Where does a dual purpose battery fall? I need a cranking battery and I run my depth finders, running lights, and livewells off of this battery. I have akways used a cranking battery but I am now told by a salesman that I need a dual purpose. Is this correct. Thanks.

My last cranking battery lasted 7 years. It started my boat. Ran my electronics. Livewells and bilge pump as well as all my running lights ran off that battery. Unless you fish on "No big motor" waters all the time and you cant start the big motor to get the altenator to charge up the cranking battery, then I dont see the need for a "All Purpose" battery. If you keep the fluids up on the batteries and charge them during the off season, they will last a long time.

My .02

Max

I think the 'dual purpose' batteries are simply a marketing ploy. It likely has some traits of both the Cranking Battery and the Deep Cycle.

Comes under the general heading of: 'Jack of all Trades - master of none'.

Tex

Like Max says you can use a cranking for what your are needing. A Marine cranking is just a car battery with heavier walls to take the water pounding. I'm on the 6th year on my cranking battery set like you are, I'll probably replace it once the batteries start moving and they are good and fresh.

Latest posts

Back