battery issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesley Bowker

Reaction score
I am looking for some input on a battery issue, i fished a tournament one friday night, and fished another tournament that following Sunday. Around 2:00 P.M. on sunday my low voltage alarm went off. The next tournament i fished after charging that battery seperatley, the battery went dead after 4 hours. The battery was purchased one month ago. I am running 2 HDS 7's with structure, 2 recirc pumps, 2 areator pumps, 2 oxygenators, on my cranking battery. I have a 1000 CCA Interstate and a 3 bank dual pro charger, with a 36 volt minn kota system. I have charged my cranking battery seperatley before fishing and its still not lasting through the day. I brought this up to the dealer before purchase and was told Mercury had a big enough alternator to keep the battery charged. (Thats not true) I have had several suggetions on how to fix this in several different price ranges. The three suggestions that i am considering is; upgrading to a group 31battery and a 4 bank dual pro charger; adding a 5th battery and an additional 2 bank charger; and finally wiring my structure scan box to an accessory switch to turn it off when im not using it..... I know this is a common problem if anyone could give me some input i would very much appreciate it.

I bassically had the same problem, battery going dead after 3-4 hrs, with the interstate, BPS replaced the battery and I also installed a new Optima 31 series, with a battery switch so if one would go dead all I have to do is turn the switch to the spare battery and I'm good. But since BPS replaced the batttery I have had no problems with it going dead, even up to 5 hrs. of fishing, Good Luck

Alot of guys are installing a switch for the structure scan like you said. No need for it to be on if your not using it.

What you are requiring for your starting battery is deep cycle use, not just for starting the engine.

You need a battery that can handle constant discharge. A dual purpose or deep cycle battery that has the MCA your engine requires is the best solution other than the stand-by battery.

Yes, your Structure Scan box should have switched power.

Latest posts

Back