Bad Gas Mileage... Ethanol to Blame?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Friday, I was running around town and noticed the gas gauge was starting to point to the big "E". Most of the stations around the city have recently gone up to $3.45 to $3.49 per gallon. I saw a Shell station that was still at $3.39 so I pulled in and filled up.... $81 :eek: . I keep the gas mileage readout on all the time on my new Silverado and I always average right around 16.8 to 17 mpg. However, after this last tank my average is dropping like a rock to 13.8 to 14. I'm assuming that the reason for the lower price I paid was because it contained Ethanol. Is this kind of drop in gas mileage to be expected? It sure ain't no bargan. I did the math.... good gas at $3.49/17mpg= .205 cents per mile, "cheap" gas at $3.39/14mpg= .242 cents per mile. The differance of $0.037 per mile doesn't seem like a lot of money until I continue the math. I drive around 3000 miles a month. That's an additional $111 per month out of pocket.

I guess the problem really is that stations aren't required to tell you that the gas you're buying contains Ethanol unless it's over 10%. I think that's the law.... I could be wrong. So where is the Ethanol advantage?

Around here the "no ethanol" gas runs a dime more a gallon. I always use the non ethanol gas. I think I do get a little better mileage out of it.

Ethanol does contain lower energy potential versus gasoline, so utilization of E10 (10% ethanol) could certainly help to account for the lower fuel economy. Don't forget also that stations are starting to switch over to "summer blends" of gasoline intended to have lower vapor pressure and higher oxgenates for cleaner burning in the hotter weather. These blends also tend to result in lower mileage. Finally, there is also the possibility that you got a "bad" tank with gas that has aged a bit too long. Over time, gasoline loses its energy content and that can result in poor mileage as well.

Unfortunately, you may never really find out what the cause is, so it may be worthwhile to avoid that station in the future.

From my understanding is you won't be able to obtain non-ethanol gas in the future.

I thought after a certain date that it will all contain 10%?:wacko:

Big debate ovet at BBC about ethanol and two strokes...seems the majority is gonna use the NEW Stabil Marine to compensate. I've been keepin' an ear to that.

I know my wife and I have changed the way we drive our trucks...SLOW!:lol:

It DOES make a big diff...and no more just runnin' to the store! You don't have to have it now...YOU DON'T GET IT!

Pissin' me off though..dippin' into my beer money!:rolleyes:

Bruce,

Thanks for the link. I was very interested until I saw the claim "restoring old fuel to refinery freshness". I think that is a total exaggeration of the truth, and it kind of turned me away from buying. I had always been told that once fuel loses its zip, there is nothing that can be done to "restore" it, and I doubt this stuff can do that. But still - I'm going to research it a bit more. Thanks.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes siree Bob! Ethanol will decrease performance. Ethanol was never about increasing vehicle gas mileage; it is simply about reducing fossil fuel oil consumption. And don't forget all that juju about corn costing more now, increased consumption of water to make ethanol, etc.

I guess this is my first load of Ethanol. I don't think it's been here in Oklahoma very long. There's no way to know what you're getting and I sure wouldn't rely on price to be the yardstick of quality. I knew it delivered less bang for the gallon but I wasn't aware that it would knock me down 3 or 4 mpg.

Here's is another promising alternative. http://newsok.com/oklahoma-switchgrass-could-fuel-the-future/article/3235842/?tm=1209354577

What really pisses me off is, I have seen every U.S. President since Nixion stand up and make beautiful speeches about how the U.S. must wean itself off foreign oil and get adopt a substantial energy policy. So far nothing substantial has been accomplished. We can put a TV camera on the moons of Jupiter but we can't design a viable means of transportation that doesn't depend on carbon to propel itself.:angry:
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-switchgrass-could-fuel-the-future/article/3235842/?tm=1209354577

Hey guys, I'm not up on all of this but whatever happened to using Methanol? I don't know of many but I do know there is a production plant (in Oklahoma I think) that runs entirely from methanol gas taken from a land fill right next door?? Wasn't the Government looking into this as a fossil fuel alternative?

It's been a couple of years but on a couple of small lakes I used to fish when it got too shallow to use the troller, I had a hollow pole I used to use. On more than a few occasions, if I had to pull the pole out from being stuck, there would be large bubbles coming up from where the pole was and it smelled bad?? I finally threw a match at the bubbles on day and instead of just going out, there was a small gas explosion??? I am assuming that's methanol and if so isn't there any way to harness it?

Like Harpo, I have seen just about every leader we've had in my lifetime, Democrate or Republican, has promised to get a handle on this fuel situation and none of them have.

Uncle Billy

We have the technology to run on Hydro but, somebody is worried about their "profits" not lining theirs and a few others pockets!:angry:

I look for an all out strike by truckers and then it's all down hill from there!

Seen something on NatGeo last nite that scared the bajeebies outta me...stuff like oil depletion by 2019 and all out chaos...wished I hadn't watched it.:blink: