Audible sounder pinging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Clevenger

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 240 with a trolling motor mount. When on, I can hear a pinging sound. I think this must be the sonar ping that I am hearing. Is this normal?

Jim

Yes it's normal...it's the "ping",...just as you thought,......my lowrance units do the same thing. It's the only way to tell if they're actually working when you're on land,.....as long as you hear that "ticking"

you're golden!

Mac

Thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, I here mine when in the water also.

Jim

I bet you can feel a Rat-L-Trap a mile away also! That's because you're aluminum boat is a great conductor and amplifier (think those are the proper terms) for these noises. Think about this...if you can hear it, what do you think the fish hear?

Interesting discussion about this last year at BassMaster U. This time of year, when most folks are fishing shallow (or sight fishing), some said to turn off your electronics. Those little "pings" may be just the thing that keep your fish from biting. Others said the fish are conditioned to the noise and it makes no difference.

I have heard both sides to that story.....on St Clair the boat traffic is so bad that I didnt think that sonar pings would effect fish.....

They do if you are shallow enough and the mood of the fish is right....made me think that bottom composition has more to with it. A hard bottom will "echo" the ping, and a soft bottom will help absorb it.

Mini

I have the same finder on the trolling motor.It dose make alot of noise.Just put it in a few weeks ago.I am afraid it my scare the fish also.Not just the noise of it by itself but that the fish are saying here comes a bass boat.I am asuming that fish can learn.

Latest posts

Back