Anybody upgraded to Hydraulic Steering

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.nsbass.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
My steering cable is in need of replacement...While I'm ripping into things...looked at the catalogs and dwelt on the hydraulic steering thing...19' Magna w/ (newly rebuilt) 115hp OMC...

Couple of thoughts...will be adding a kicker 8hp elec start remote...it's siiting in the garage now!

Boat is used "heavily" (for a working stiff) 4-6 days a month...walleye/bass fishing... I have a "great" job and a wife that either loves me or hates me...(she doesn't complain about my absences....hate?)
http://www.nsbass.com

I don't really think you need it. But if you got the extra $$$ just laying around. Go for it.

John

"Pesci O Morire"

what side is the kicker going on?i got mine on the drivers side due to cable length.the throttle sits nice on the ledge above the other one.if you need pictures of it let me know.it will be a few days till i get them.the boats all masked off and drying right now.

hydraulic steering is the cats,well,you know what.wish i had it,but the weakness would be if you have a leak or a major get out you have no steering,right?

later

I was wondering about where to place the kicker...I'm putting in a "removable (sort of, wiring connected with Molex connectors and plumbing connected with brass hose quick disconnects) Casting deck" across the back...just above the top of the jump seat hinges...31" deep 14 1/2" off the floor all the way across between the side ledges...Haven't solidified rod storage..probably vertical..but maybe not because of the bimini top...The casting deck gets a livewell, a seat pedestal and covers one or two more batteries...the livewell is 12" X 12" X 29"...This is all still developing...

I read another post about painting yours...new scheme or back to original? I love the boat...But I am toying with a few subtle changes...like a taller windshield and trying to modify the front deck for rod storage...

I had mounted the kicker on the left...used a separate fuel supply and steered it with the tiller handle...I have since taken it off in favor of a proper install.

Looking at electronic speedo and enclosed rod storage along the sides...using sliding doors like Lowe if I do that...very slick

Stay in touch...Mechanic is advising against hydraulic now due to some space issues...but he is also trying to work them out if I would like liquid steer...

painting it all white with a blue stripe from the cap to the 1st ridge.nothing fancy yet.just the 1 decal thats it.it was looking good when i left last night,but got a few boogers in the blue,got to fix it today when i go to work.

the kicker,i would mount on a solid bracket,the removable deal might make you end up wih more problems.make a bracket out of aluminum and mount it solid.my 8 hp merc is mounted on a steel bracket i had to make out of c chanell and flatstock,mounted through the transom solidly with stainless bolts,then the kicker mounted with stainless caridge bolts through the bottom of the bracket on the kicker,along with the screw type mounts.its been on there for 2 yrs,and no rust on it as of yet.

the fuel system i got plumbed in is kind of trick.i dont have the vro hooked up,so i mix now,i t'd the main fuel line off,all brass fittings though,a brass shutoff for each motor,then a hose barb,then the fuel line for each motor,with a primer bulb for each motor.it works good,ive had both running at the same time,and no starvation problems.the 8 should push it to round 5-6 mph on the gps.thats what i get out of mine with stock prop on the 8,but it sounds like its laboring a bit,going to get a electronic tach/hr meter for it to check.but they do make 2 diffrent props for it,im going down in size to get the r's back up,and to keep the motor above idle for trolling.

ill have to take a few pictures of the bracket for you to see.

Latest posts

Back