Anna on Saturday - Weather

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
Just thought I would provide an update for weather condition on Saturday for Anna. Has changed a bit since earlier in the week.

Now looking at a high of 45, low of 22, Sunny with the winds out of the West at 10 mph. Other than the wind it should be a decent day.

See ya at the house around 0800!

Wind? Last week on the chilly side it was 15-20!!

Nell.......chickopee......innnawind!!

For those movie buffs!!LOL!!

Hey guess what, I get to actually put gas in my rig at a gas station!!LOL!! Ready for some new baits William?

Put the coffee on, I'll be there!!

TOXIC

Looks like Im going to make it up there. Bill you have email. I need the directions again.

Mark

Coffee will be on and ready. I am always ready for some new baits. Jaws - Will send new directions today.

See ya in the morning.

Bill

Rumor has it... the tourny at Woo's place (or parts of it) will be on Bass Center this Saturday...

We may get to see the infamous Sue D. win the thing!!!

Interview with Woo on the show!!!

What time does it come on???

Let me know what time and channel (satellite) since I have TIVO I will record it so we can watch later in the day after we catch all the big ones.

KB - You gonna join us on the hot side or go pre-fish the cold?

Toxic - Remember to get the gas at home since it is running $1.83 down here for regular.

Not sure if I am going to make it or not. Sue has said that she is not into the cold. I have been gone more then my share lately and it may be in my best interest to hang here this weekend.

Will "ask" her again and see when she gets off of work.

Carlos

Carlos - Don't "ask", just "beg". You need the fishin' time for the tourney's according to KB. Sue can stay at the house and watch TV while you fish if you want. LOL

Bill

HAAH Bill,

That would probally work, IF I had been home the past two weeks....

Will see how it flies though! It is worth a try....

Like I said in an earler posting. Life is made up of give and take or quid pro quo, even in marriage. Do something nice for Sue and I am sure that she will let you go out with the boys to play.

Hey

Looks like Im backing out agian for this trip. I will keep the directions for next time Bill. Call me wishy washy. Too much to do, Almost got it done today, thought I would but it just didnt happen. See ya next time guys.

Mark

What time are we meeting???

The wife said it will be in the teens in the AM

sorry guys i cant make it, the water pressure gauge did not come in. I am so bent, now i cant pick it up till the 1st of march with my schedule and then i have to finish breakin on the engine.

mike

I'm gonna be thee but........I'm not puttin in on the cold side!! That's all yours KB!! My neighbor is coming with. I understand if it is too cold for most. I will tough it out though.

TOXIC

Ok gotta ask, whats this COld and Hot side stuff???

OK - Sounds like we got a bunch of wimps here. Looks like Toxic and his neighbor, KB and myself. Haven't heard from Carlos, but that doesn't look too good.

Trepman - Lake Anna is an impoundment that was built in the early 70s as part of the North Anna Nuclear Power Plant. The lake was divided in two sections, the first about 9600 acres called the cold or public side which uses the water from the North Anna and Pamunkey Rivers to cool the reactors (2). The outflow from the plant goes into the three cooling lagoons called the hot (private) side (approximately 3000 acres). The water temp coming out directly from the plant is approximately 100 degrees Farenheit. By the time it reaches the egress back into the cold side the water temp cannot be any more than 1/2 degree different than the ambient temperature of the cold side.

The hot side is private and NO commercial establishments can be located there. Only homeowners. There is no public access and the only way to gain access is from a homeowner. The cold side is public and offers many launch facilities and commercial businesses.

There is a major controversy going on right now that Dominion Virginia Power has the approval to build two additional reactors in the next 10 years. Many are concerned that it will have a major impact on the hot side. According to the Dominion Virginia the increase in temperature coming from the plant will not be greater than 1 degree. Down side is that the fish glow in the dark and have three eyes on each side of their heads. They do taste alright though. LOL

Trep..

The cold side of Lake Anna is where they draw the water to cool the nuclear reactor (9600 acres). The hot side is where the water goes AFTER it cools the reactors. It nthen goes into 3 cooling lagoons (lakes) that are connected by canals. The lakes total 3,000 acres and are totally private (thanks Bill!!), the cold side is public. The 2 sides are seperated by 3 dikes. Air temp tomorrow in the morning will be 15-20 degrees. The water should be in the mid to upper 50's!! The cold side water will be in the 40's. We have been fishing all winter thanks to Bill giving us access to the hot side.!!

TOXIC

On edit......Bill is a faster typer than me!! LOL!! The neatest thing is that the hot "Lakes" have some mondo current!!!

Bill, Can i launch from your place on the OTHER side??

See ya around 8:00

I'm not gonna be in any hurry to get out!!!

KB - Of couse you can launch from either side. If you don't want to drag your rig I will fish the cold side with you even though Toxic is doing the hot. Either way, it is fishing (hopefully catching). 0800 is fine. Coffee at the house when you get here. Upper teens, low 20s in the early morning but warming up later with winds out of the west at 5-10.

See ya in the am.

Bill

Bill and Tox - Thanks for the explaination, it ACTUALY makes sense!! Now the next question - I assume both sides are stocked with fish, does one do better then the other? I'd assume the Private side would be better to fish - less pressure thus bigger fish and the fish are less likely to have seen a particular lure??

The fish are stocked on the private side but not as much as the public side. There is NOT the same pressure, as you mentioned, but in the fall and winter the fish have a tendency to migrate from the public side through dike 3 into the third lagoon of the private side. The flow of water from the hot to the cold side is more than 1 million gallons per minute so the current is wicked in that area.

I can't say for positive that the fish are any bigger but I don't think that we ever got skunked on the hot side, at least during the late fall and winter months. Can't say that about CIII, KB and Toxic last week. hahahaha

To my knowledge, no sponsored tournaments are allowd nor are guides permitted to take clients on the private side. Toxic only fishes for fun on the hot side (LOL)

As you can imagine we also have an abundance of waterfowl with blinds scattered all over the lake. Up until recently I didn't know that each duck blind is registered and only the "owner" is authorized to use it.

Come down and see us and we will show you around. Nice place to visit, even in the summer when all the boating nuts are around. That's what I love about the hot side.

Bill

Bill and others, I MAY be up that way for spring break with the kids and wife to my sister-n-laws in Gambrils, MD. If so, i'll let you know and we'll go fishing!!

Bill B - I hope you're ready to fish in 2 months!!! sister-n-law is working to see if her husband can take his hiking trip that week so he won't be in town when we come up.

It looks like the week of April 3rd. We'd do what we did over the summer, drive up Sat/Sun and back the following Sat/Sun so fishing would have to be one afternoon during the week.

Trep

Carlos - Thier either still fishing or at a bar!!! LOL Or in Tox's MAN CAVE!!!

If they;re in the man-cave, we won't see them until tomorrow.

I passed out in the cave last time I was there....and when I woke up, my fly was down!!!

Yeah....tasted like that cheap-ass whiskey TOX keeps down there!!!

Well, we are back and no we didn't go to Tox's Man Cave. Even the bats have left that place!

First I have to let everyone know that our die-hard fisherman wimped out on us. Mike, Mark, Carlos and KB all came up with one excuse or another. LOL Although, I thought that KBs was good, "The weather is below my threshold and too cold." Well it was a bit chilly on the first run at about 22 degrees but it turned into a beautiful sunny day with a high about 45 degrees with a mild wind.

A good day was had by all (3 of us). Boated a bunch of fish with a few over the 3 pound range. (Pics to follow from Toxic). Stayed back near the power plant at dike one and along the rip-rap the entire day. Hitting well on Senko's, Jack's Worms, and Tox's new bait on a dro-shot rig. Won't divulge his new secret bait (it wasn't earthworms, though).

Only two or three other boats out on the hot side so not much pressure. Gulls were out from dike two hitting on the bait fish so I am assuming we had a mess of stripers in the area since that is one of the tell-tale signs.

Hopefully Tox will come on and paste some of the pics from yeterday.

Everybody enjoy and I will be available when my next kitchen pass is stamped and validated. (LOL)

Bill in VA (aka Cattle Prod)

I cn not believe that KB did not show!!!!!! Jeese...and I was feeling guilty for not working the cold side too!!!!!

Bill, sounds like you all had some fun! I am sorry that I missed it. Good thing is that I am working off the "list" and will have a clear pass soon (I hope)

Where are the pics at Tox???

Carlos

I'll get the pics up, they are on my neighbor's digital. The wind started howling later in the day!! And of course that is when the bite turned on. My biggest (3 1/2 closer to 4) came off of a senko (KB's color) pitched a mile while I was picking a tangle out of my florocarbon line...go figure. I was reeling in the slack and felt weight, so I rared back as hard as I could and my drag had come loose....I thought for sure I lost him but nope he was still there...dang fish pulled so hard, I thought it was a catfish. The rest of my fish (6) came off of the dropshot rig with robo worms (6 inch). My neighbor and I commented on how hard theses fish were pullin!! They fought like smallmouth. His bigger fish (3-3 1/2) pulled drag for about 3 minutes.

There was a casualty but I'll put that in another post.

TOXIC

nice tox!!

Sounds like you all had some fun!!

Casualty?? Ok, NOW I am courious...

Carlos

Latest posts

Back