About Batteries.. A product I am trying and some info

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
At the suggestion of another fisherman, I am trying a product with the three batteries in my boat. Thermoil. Here is some info from the company. I'll report on the success or failure later. I read the golf cart battery info with great interest.

"Just wanted to thank you for your order. Thermoil and Battery De-Mister are the exact same thing just different name & label. Will will be getting new labels made up shortly and the new label will be Thermoil/Battery De-Mister & Thermoil/Battery De-Sulfater. To put 2 oz in per cell squeeze the bottle till you get to the 3 oz mark, then 5, then 7, then 9, then 11. When you get to the 11 oz mark there is still 2 oz in the bottle because 1 oz is in the cap when it is flipped upside down. If you have any questions about Thermoil always feel free to give me a call at 800-221-5351 or read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and (Click Here For Battery Secrets) which is on the home page at www.thermoil.com . This should answer all or most of your questions about batteries and Thermoil. Please help me spread the word about Thermoil

I don't know anything about Thermoil, except what I just read, but this seems like a self-fulfilling phrophecy. Terry's advice is basically: "Buy really good batteries and use Thermoil. You're batteries will last a long time."

If you remove the words "and use Thermoil," the results may be the same.

Greg, how are you going to know if it works? Do you go through enough batteries of the same brand and capacity to have a good handle on what the working life should be?

Also, regarding his golf cart battery advice: Golf cart batteries are appropriate for motoryachts. For fishing boats that spend a lot of time running around lakes on plane, carrying the extra weight hurts performance and burns more gas. And they take up twice the space. I'd say, if an angler is having trouble keeping batteries going through hard tournament use, can afford a little loss of performance, and has the spare space (who has that?), then maybe the golf cart batteries make sense. Otherwise, the best bet is going to be very good quality 12v cells from Rolls, Trojan, etc.

Rick Clunn tried the golf cart batteries 5-6 years ago and went back to regular batt's after one season due to the extra weight....he was using more gas in his boat AND truck, and summized that the golf cart batt's are better left in golf carts! :rolleyes:

Quite a few of the pros tried the golf cart batteries vice regular batteries with the same results as Mac and Rich posted. I had a friend in VA who fishes as a pro who tried the same thing - I think that went one year and he was back to regular batteries.

I'd fully agree with what Rich wrote - take the "and use Thermoil" out of that sentence, and it probably means the same. The manufacturer pushed so hard, it sounds like they know what the objections will already be, and they are trying to circumvent them before they happen.

I got a real kick out of his sentence in parenthesis "(there are only a few real good ones, call me or e-mail me and I will let you know which ones they are)". If he is too scared to list which ones he considers "real good ones" in public, then he probably is talking out of both ends of his mouth. Which ones does he consider good? Probably the ones that don't object to using his product right now. That list could change next week if some other manufacturer does not recommend using his product. I'm almost sure that Trojan, which I consider the best marine battery ever built, is probably not on his list. I say that because Trojan does not advocate adding anything to their batteries besides distilled water.

There is no real way to prove if this stuff will work or not. Not saying his product doesn't work, because I don't know (I have no proof either way) But I don't think it's needed. If you buy quality batteries to begin with, and take care of them properly, I don't think this additive will do anything for you at all.

All the best,

Glenn

Amen to that Glenn!!!!!!

WEe have a little different situation in walleye boats regarding the golf cart batteries. A lot of guys are pushing 20-21 ft multi=species boats (bigger and heavier than bass boats). And, we are using engine mount trolling motors for 5-7 hours continously pulling spinners/crawler harnesses (trolling). As a result, some are using 4 batteries now (two 12s in parralell, twice) just to get the juice for that for a day. I am using two 12s in paralell on an older 12v engine mount. So, two bigger six volts (next year, maybe) is a possibility for me.

I plan to "test" this product this way. I have two type 27s that are on their third season (used in 2007 and 2008). I am going to use the de-mister in only one battery and have them bench tested by my technician at the end of the year. I'll report what I find.

I undertook this test (and expect to find that the product does work as advertised) because a few of my friends have tried it and are using it. The "insurance factor" of reduced maintenance (adding water) is the first benefit tyhat has been suggested to me as worth the price alone.

I am going to try the "desulfater" on two older batteries that I haul as spares in the truck. They each have three seasons on them and are about 60% of what they were new. That I will report in a few weeks. Again, I have "been told" by a few walleye tournament guys that that product also works.

Toxic will tell you what he learned about us (walleye guys) and what we are willing to run in on a regular basis... 20-30 miles one way in 2-5 footers... Our batteries take a real significant beating.

Oh I am sure Toxic knows. And it aint just Walleye guys that run in that stuff! ;)

Mini,

We (he fished with a friend of mine on a fairly "calm day" on Green Bay) had Tox out for "eyes" last summer. Gave him a whole new appreciation for suspension seats.

That "stuff" gets real wet in a bassboat! Even in a very deep boat like mine it is still wet. When you have to wear bibs and a parka in 70+ degree weather and it's not raining... well... that is some interesting "chit". You are welcome to come over on the ferry this summer and join us (The Peshtigo Pirates are we!) We'll give you the tour on our side of the big pond and let you see how grownups fish!!!!!:eek:

The PWT won't even come to st.clair cuz it's to rough for you old guys,........they make you stay in the river!!..LMAO

Us (this) "old guys" used to fish the FLW and we fished Erie all the time out of Port Clinton... LOL...:D

Eries "rollers" are a cake walk compared to 'Clairs 4-5ft "chop" with wave crests 18ft apart!:rolleyes:

Mac,

A serious comment, that is the same thing we get on Green Bay... Brutal... And, in a bassboat...insanity!:)

Got that right Bro...it's not fun in any boat!! Well..accept maybe an aircraft carrier!!

You guys want to have fun with waves??? Head down the St. Lawrence Seaway into the mouth of Lake Ontario with any type of wind. I've never seen more transoms trashed, cowlings lost, boat spines broken, etc..etc.. in my life than every week's tourneys spent in the Clayton area fishing the big lake. :wacko: :eek:

Mac,

The day we were out with Tox on Green Bay the Navy was holding sea trials for the first time with one of the new Littoral Seas Destroyers out of Marinette...(shipyard)... Weird to launsch under the eyes and guns (twin .50cal Brownings) of the Coast Guard... She took the swells hat day just fine... Nice boat but hard to rig a trolling motor with a 20 foot shaft!

LOL!!!....I can imagine!! Now if we can get all these a-hole terrorists to fish more often, we wouldn't have to spend so much time and money trying to kill'em!! :rolleyes::p

(We could just wait until they rolled up on Mini's chit,..THEN whack'em!!):lol:

I'm gonna hafta say that the Walleye guys have big, heavy, wave poundin' boats. The day I was out, I got a blister on my lower back because we bounced so much, my shirt came untucked and I couldn't get it tucked back in (kinda hard when you are doing handstands on the seat!!:lol: ) before I got a good vinyl burn!!:p Bassers would have approached that water a little differently. While you deep vee guys can "point and shoot" a bass boat would have had to "drive" to get there. Was it doable?....yep, but it wouldn't have been fun.

TOXIC

I got vinyl burn last summer making a 88 mile run (one way)....

not gonna get in a pissin match as to what water is worse to fish in. sag bay is the worst I have seen.

I agree with ya Mini - It's all bad when you have to white knuckle the wheel, driving and praying, hoping you and your passenger make it back in one piece, let alone the boat.

Rough water rides in small crafts SUCK everywhere!!! :p I'm a fair-weather fisherman anymore, hopefully with all my "Oh $#*T!!" rides behind me. :lol:

Latest posts

Back