896 in BWB

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Puhalski

Reaction score
Bass & Walleye Boat magazine did a story on the Nitro 896 this month. They tested it with the Merc 200 HP and no jack plate and topped it out at 68.1 mph. The price as tested was like $22,500. Are those numbers correct? a 19.6 foot boat with 200 horses for under $25k? Got to imagine that with the right jackplate you'll be in the low 70's with this rig.

Jon - check www.nitro.com and check out the spec's on the 896. $22, 595 (plus tax, freight and rigging) with the Merc 200 XR6. I was looking for thier performance #'s but they have not posted them (all the other models have them under the Motors link on each model).

I'm not the jackplate performance guy, but if I was looking for a big boat it'd be first on my list!

I even think I remember Mac saying he is looking closely at replacing his current 9 series with one next year!

You're smiling in your dreams big dog,...........the only time you've EVER passed my 9 series is in the parking lot!!!...LOL

Jon,

It's all true. Had a '96 & a '98 896 w/200EFI and 9" jackplate 72mph GPS w/me and a 1/2 tank of gas and moderate gear, had a good top end prop but hole shot was only fair. I got a new 901, rides a little better, but ain't no faster. I love the 901 but I'm not convinced I like it any better than the 896. I'll see when I have to get into really shallow water to catch a bass. Haven't seen any thing better than a 896 as far as fishability ( is that a word!) Seemed the 896 could almost get on dry land, only needed inches of water to float it. The 896 is "tough as a boot" and I live and fish in the piney woods of EAST TEXAS and those pine stumps don't rot. It's a super boat KENNY

I had a '97 896 w/ 150EFI Merc and 12" Paralift that GPS'd tourney rigged at 68mph. My '98 896 had a 200DFI (Opti) and another 12" Paralift that ran in the mid 70's with no problem. Still one of my favorite boats for all around fishability and speed. Ride in one and you'll see!

Jon, I have an older 96 model 896, 200 EFI. Propped out right, by my self, and full load of fuel, I can just crack 70m/h. No jack plate, but looking to buy soon.

You are now seeing why Tracker thought to "re-introduce" the 896 into the stable. I too am thinking the 896 route this year. It has to be the best overall "bang for your buck" in serious bass tournament rigs.

Russell explain more about your setup (EFI or Opti?; Engine Height; jackplate?; etc.) if you are seeing mid 70's on GPS please?!?

Mini

Wow! I've heard some pretty stout endorsements for the 896, now Mini's...I'm impressed! Correct if I'm wrong, Mini, but aren't you toolin' around in the 929 battleship?

Going to BPS tomorrow to pick up some much un-needed stuff (way too much time on my hands this week!)...will have to spend some time looking over their 896 on the showroom floor.

I have driven all of the 9 series boats in competition. I like the 901's agility, a dream to drive and easy to fish. The 929 is HUGE perfect for a team approach in big water. The 911 has the best big water ride available in its class (the 929 is just behind it), BAR NONE the best laid out, most fishable design in the bass boat industry.

Dollar for dollar, you can't beat the 896. BUT, in the waters that I fish day after day, the 9 series boats are better. But an 896 on a flat day on St Clair with an Opti......I could run to Cleveland and still afford to spend the night!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the "flat" days on the Great Lakes are few and far between. Now if you were to mention a 43' Viking Open Express I might have a different opinion.

Mini

Latest posts

Back