Nitro 896 Savage with Mercury 200 EFI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDDY SENTERFEIT

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Nitro 896 Savage with a Mercury 200 EFI on a 6 inch Rite Hite jackplate. I'm running a 24 pitch Tempest Plus prop with no PVS plugs in the prop. This boat comes out of the hole like a rocket lightly loaded or with a tournament load. I think I may be under propped being as motor can turn prop 6400 rpm on top end with GPS speed at 72 mph. I don't run at WOT except for the initial prop test due to the fact that I'm pretty sure that 6400 rpm for any extended period is probably just asking for a popped powerhead. I'm thinking of getting a 26 or 27 pitch Tempest Plus prop, but I don't want to kill my holeshot. Does anybody have any idea if I will have any significant increase on top end if I can turn the 26 or 27 Tempest Plus 6000 rpm? Or would I be better off to just stay with the 24 Tempest Plus and run it with just enough throttle to stay at 6000 rpm?

You need to check what the max recommended rpm range is for your motor. If everything else performs well it is up to you and the throttle on how many rpms you turn.

You should add a 25P Trophy to your list of test props. You just might fall in love with it AND the peak RPM range. Good luck! ;)

In my series of Nitro boats, one was a 97 896, i upgraded to a 200 Opti in 99 on tha hull, it ran very good with a 25 Temptest, I do not recall my top speed, but it was very quick, and the RPM's if memory serves me, were right at 5800-6000 the 200 woke the boat up and made ir a sweet ride. so I will echo the 25 Tempest vote for you

Latest posts

Back