4 Stroke

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Ok, so I am looking at getting a new boat when I get back to Virgina. I will probably wait until fall and see if I can pick up a leftover or a smokin deal on a new/used. My anal research mode has kicked in (CIII understands) and I started to research 4-strokes. I eliminated all the fringe manufacturers, Honda, Suzuki, etc., they are just not mainstream in the bass boat market but are on a lot of offshore boats (weight is an issue). I have yet to see a new "Pro" Verado on the water and have only seen 1 ad for them. In all of my searching and looking at boats, I have yet to find one with the new Verado. I have been reading up on the Yamaha SHO and there definitely seems to be a problem with them making oil. Con on the Verado again seems to be weight. Anybody else done the 4-stroke/2-stroke comparison? Am I missing something? I'm almost afraid to ask Glenn to check into it because I know I will get 3 volumes of stuff to read but it will be right!!:lol:

TOXIC

I am asked this very question every day. As much as I am a "2-stroke" guy, it's VERY hard to pass up the Verado product. All I will say is this.....reliability!!!

i went 4 stroke...

Vrod.jpg

Tox,

I have a Verado on the back of my 901. I tried it because the dealer had it on there and made me a smoking deal, as they had little interest. I will NEVER go back to a two stroke.

The low noise levels, electro/hydraulic steering, gas milage, RELIABILITY, no oil to add, and this thing flies, the turbo on them they jump up better than any of the other two strokes on tour, and I don't worry about making a long run, the engine will never give me any trouble. its heavy but the power compensates, so its a non-issue.

I don't even know if there's a choke on this engine. its start just like the last time. Every spring I change the oil in the foot, change the oil in the engine and I'm done. In fact this year, I did that and never even started my engine, then drove 2 hours to fish for the first run of the season and never even worried about it not starting.

I can't say enough about the verado. If it wasn't so complicated to switch out the engines, I'd keep it and change my next boats.

P

TURBO??? These things have a GENUINNNNEEEE belt-driven SUPERCHARGER!!! Instant throttle response, UNLIKE most turbo applications....no spool up to worry about. ;)

I believe both of you are running the older version of the Verado correct?

Not the new "Pro" version? What is the difference between the 2?

TOXIC

you are correct Bob, supercharger it is...

I don't know what the differences between the two are, although I've hear even better fuel performance. Lots of good info here: www.veradoclub.com

did I say smooooooooth ?

The "Pro" series engines have been tweaked to achieve that of the pro XS series....and then some. It's amazing to me that at 50+mph, all you can really hear is the water coming off the hull, and NOT the engine......you gotta go for a ride to really "understand". Kinda like "It's a Jeep thing"....only "It's a Verado thing..." Agree with Pierre...check out the Verado club.....

Well, the reason I ask is that the dealer that has been trying to get me on staff for a looooong time is a Merc dealer only. The Pro Verado has been very under advertised and not much buzz about it but it would be my choice if I went with this dealer. AND....I have a jeep, an old Jeep Wrangler, so I do understand!!:lol: :lol::lol: I bought it in Medway Mass in 1993 brand spankin new!! It is running just as good today as the day I bought it. It has 267,000 miles.

TOXIC

Sorry Toxic....I'm one up on ya. 1990 Nissan D21 278,000. Bought it brand new in Chattanooga, and I'd heard to Seattle tomorrow in it if I had to.:p:D

Verado rules!!!

But I'm very happy with my 4-stroke Merc EFI 115: Clean, quiet and fuel-efficient performance.

Grtz,

Juan Gonzalez

Honda and Suzuki (Johnson OEM) fringe manufacturers???

My next rig will most likely be Verado powered, but that will be a deep v.

...although 2 strokes :wub: have a warm spot in my heart.

chaz,

everyone other than mercury and yamaha are in fact fringe manufactures simply by the much smaller numbers of units out in service and there manufactures inability to provide service in nearly as many locations as the two big boys on the block.

look around count with your eyes how many factory authorized service centers there are for those as compared to merc and yamaha.

why would a person purchess a power plant for their boat that they will have trouble finding service for in a pinch. nevermind part availibilty plus the made in fondalac ws. wich bye the way is here in the u.s.a. means something to me. not that any of them are bad products but practicality has to weigh on a consumers mind.

it could be that they are major players in some other country but i certinly agree with toxic. maybee in some costal markets but all in all if it aint black its broken or soon will be in my mind.

Not looking to start anything here, just stating my opinion. Your comment

By fringe I also meant in the Bass Boat world. You just don't see them on those rigs. BUT...here in Florida they are strong in the offshore market. Another consideration is that a lot of the freshwater motors by those makers are small HP motors (kickers or Jons) not the bigger 225+. Again except for salt. The big offshore boats do run them.....usually more than 1 at a time. :lol: Go google bass boats for sale with those motors and the pickins will be slim. Charlie Ingram runs one on his bass rig and I know Honda has been trying harder.

TOXIC

Personally if it was me and i was opting for 4 stroke i think is go Merc. There are a number of reasons for me that go beyond if its the best 4 stroke or not. Bob B's shop is the dealer i use and whatever i get i want it serviced there, they dont do the others so.... Plus i have have had excellent service from my mercs, my xr6 was pretty much bulletproof and so far my pro XS has been fantastic.

I personally also have a long standing distaste for Yamaha. I had two street bikes in a row from them that were lemons(the second lemon was the replacement for the first) and as a company they didnt really stand behind thier product well, they fought every step fo the way on both of those bikes. That experience has made me steer clear of thier products for a while now.

As far as Honda goes, i would buy a small honda(i have had the best luck with thier little motors and motorcycles, my vf1100 i used to have was the best engine i have ever owned in anything) but im not so sure of the bigger ones. A guy that used to be in my club had a 225 Honda on a Triton TR21X and he blew it up. There is what i see as a fatal flaw in the design for use on a bass boat. The intake on the 225 model is on the rear of the motor. Since bassboats are very low to the water and tend to sit low in the stern sometimes the rear of the cowling can dip under water when idling or stopped, in rough water this only gets worse. What happened to the guy in my club was he was waiting to take off at a tournament on a windy day and when he trimmed in to take off and dropped the hammer the motor sucked in a bunch of water, hydraulic locked and busted the crank. He had to fight with them to get that one covered by warranty because the motor sucked in a bunch of water. That boat/motor combo was also sloooow, my 882 with a 150 was faster by a few mph.

chaz,. because truth fully they have yet to become a player in the outboard motorgame yet. yes i said yet i'm sure a company founded on the manufacturing and buisness princpals that honda has will be one of the big players should they choose to be such.

my point was similar to toxic's how many do you see on bass boats?

also i choose to spend my money on products made here in this country as often as possible as long as the quality is comparable so i choose mercury.

i do this as part of my feeling that it is my duty to support the merchants and manufacturing co. that are useing the cash i spend to give some american a job there money is staying here not going to japan to be lost to the national economy.

the strength of our economy and the us dollar starts with each and every one of us.

we all bear some burden of why china is kicking our buts in manufactureing, we need the newest best gizmo's for the lowest price.

we can fight this onslaught to the consumer by not byeing the latest and greatest and using our tv's toaster's dvd players untill they are no longer serviceable.

checking were a product is made and giving the american made version(if there is one) a fair shake.

if we all stick our collective heads in the sand and continue down this path AMERICA is in for a rude awakeing and the lifstyle we have lived for so long will be a thing of the past for the majority.

look for the made in usa label when you spend.

Lots of Verados around here too. Some on bass boats. Lots of Hondas and Suzukis too. I used to own a Suzuki 140 on a Winner 1790 Tournament :)

i give.

i should know better there is an argument for every opinion and we can weave logic into all of them.

i just wanted to bring a awareness to the issue of imports vs. domestic produts and consumers knowing what they are buying, as it seems chaz is aware and watching as we all should be.

enough said i've already hyjacked this tread and i appoligize toxic.

ps. i'm still running my 2 stroke but would consider a verado on my next rig.

that is if i ever get another i'm getting old not sure how much longer i'll be able to keep in the game.

A few years back when I was still fishing in a bass club, I fished with a club member with a big 4 stroke on the back. I don't remember if it was a Merc or Yammie, but I couldn't hear the motor idle amongst all of the 2 strokes. And it didn't lack for power either. I liked it!!

Back