2 Bank Charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEBRVET

Reaction score
I changed out my trolling motor. I went from a 12/24 unit to a strictly 24 volt unit. I rewired the batteries so they are now in series giving me the needed 24 volts. I get about 4 hours of run time. My question is about the on board charger. Am I getting a full charge? The lights for one of the batteries always shows yellow. I've had the batteries tested and they are good.

Check voltage while the chargers on should be 13.5 Volts or more while charging if you don't have a volt meter switch leads on the batteries and see if the same battery stays yellow or if it switches you may have a bad charger. if it stays on same battery i would put battery on.

Are you using a 2 bank 12 v charger? If so, even though the batteries are connected in series to send 24V to the trolling motor, each battery should be connect to a one bank of a 12V charger.

Only 4 hours of run time seems way too low. Is that 4 hours at 100% power? If so that may be true. What size batteries and type batteries are you using? That is a major factor in run time.

Tim C and Cub48. Thanks. I'll have to check it out and see what type, size I have and if I am getting the required charge. Appreciate the advice.

I changed out my trolling motor. I went from a 12/24 unit to a strictly 24 volt unit. I rewired the batteries so they are now in series giving me the needed 24 volts. I get about 4 hours of run time. My question is about the on board charger. Am I getting a full charge? The lights for one of the batteries always shows yellow. I've had the batteries tested and they are good.
i have a 24 v motor on my 2019 z18 i can run around 2 days on a single charge.

Cub48 is right first thing is output of the charger. Then that's eliminated . Batteries check ok (sometimes that's not conclusive) . Then the plug, with 24v you will need a good plug like the 3 prong push and turn type. Then with a volt meter with the trolling motor on high (preferably under a load) check the voltage at both batteries. If one of the batteries voltage drops more then the other its the battery.

After you have done Jerry Shack and Cub48 recommendations.
Check your batteries with a voltage charger. Then check battery changer with a voltage meter. It should run 1 to 3 volts higher when the charger is on depending on the batteries charge.
What amp per battery is your charger. Most batteries require a minim of 10 amps per battery. If not a 10 amp charger would recommend charging your batteries on a manual 10 amp charger a few times a year.
Is the battery charger a smart charger then it may not recharger your batteries to a full charge. Recommend charging your batteries on a manual 10 amp charger twice a year.

My thanks to all. I've got a Minn Kota 210 on board charger. I get a 'check connection' light on the front (1st) battery. I switch the wires from the 2nd battery and still get a 'check connection' light on the first battery. All indicators point to a bad battery. Although I had it tested on the spring and it registered good.

It is a bad charger. I had both batteries checked again and they tested good once they were charged up.

Check for a fuse at the wire where it connects to the battery might be that fuse.

I checked all 4 fuses with a multimeter and cleaned the connections. No change.

I had the same thing happen to mine a year ago and did everything that all of you had suggested and found out that it was my charger. Hope that helps.

Not to plug a business but I snagged a new Minn Kota 315D for $170. Nice little upgrade at a good price.

Latest posts

Back