1998 nitro 700lx's

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey g.

Reaction score
To all owners of 1998 model year nitro 700 lx's:

The U.S. coast guard will soon issue a warning to all owners of these boats to check the sealant under the rub-rail back by the transom.Due to the incorrect use and application of sealant used to fill the gaps between the deck and hull water might intrude into the core wood of the transom and cause rot leading to a weakend structure.The issuance of this coast guard warning will be within the next 60 days.I was informed of their decision to issue this warning on 2-8-07.It will be up to tracker if they want to warranty this.My guess is they wont.

J.G. Any info if this is specific to the 1998 700's or does it impact the '98 640lx or '99 700lx?

Any more info you can share would be great. Including any remediation that we can do as existing owners, or how to check for any damage.

Trep

My source started with my boats transom rotting out,and as far as remediation tracker was no help.So I had to go up the ladder.More importantly on how to check for damage,look for cracks in the gelcoat back by the splashwell near and around the top 2 motor bolts.If you can remove the rubrail near the transom area and inspect the joint between the deck and hull.I have pix of what mine looked like email me if your interested.But the first telltail sign was signifigant transom flexing.Check this by simply tilting your motor up and applying upwards and downwards pressure on the cavation plate on the motor.

Regardless of "age"... Since this is the result of a defective manufacturing process and is an extremely dangerous defect I would hope that Tracker would show some concern and step up and remedy this situation or at least offer some significant help toward a repair...

This transcends "profit" and is definitely an issue of safety and responsibility. I would hope that the right decision is determined internally and that no pressure would be necessary.

I think a wait until the Coast Guard issues something or anything would be in order. I don't understand a lot of what you're saying Jeffrey? The Coast Guard will "SOON" issue a warning, and then it will be in the next "60 days". And I really don't understand the

"I was informed of their decision to issue this warning on 2-8-07." Then why was the warning issued almost a month later? It would also seem to me that if the Coast Guard has noticed this very serious problem and it going to issue a warning about it, Tracker would just about have to do something about it unless they wanted their corporate attorneys tied up for a long time, win or lose.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

I think the 60 days is usual gov't beauracracy... Even when the Patriot Boats were sinking right and left... it took them "forever" to act and issue a recall...

Greg - "Even when the Patriot Boats were sinking right and left" were those the Nitro "Patriot" colored boats, or another brand?? I never heard of this one.

I cant help that the government decides how to respond to certain issues but i'm sure my issue isnt the only one they have to deal with.If anyone is interested, the pictures of the damage are in my member library file.

And greg, tracker could care less about this issue.The repair cost me $2000.00 and the boat is now better and even more solid then when it was new.The shop that did the work even strengthened the transom by installing strong arm braceing that connects the stringers to the transom something he said should have been part of the design of the boat in the first place.

Patriot was/is a boat brand... 20' walleye boats that just would breakup and sink... improper design and insufficient floatation... Not too funny back in 2003 (?)...

Latest posts

Back