1991 911 Front Floor Live Well

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Ganske

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have now had about a month to play around with my new used 1991 911CDC and I am really enjoying it! I am getting used to the Merc 225EFI power and ready to start a little tweeking. I have noticed that the front live well in the floor automaticaly fills up with water each time I put my boat in the water without having to open any of the valves. The water is entering the live well through the overflow hose. I am wanting to block off that hose to keep water from entering the boat so I don't have to carry around all that extra water weight. The hose fitting in the live well is 1 1/2" ID and I haven't been able to find a expansion plug that big. Anyone know where I can get a plug that big or have any suggestions about this front live well situation. I would like to get rid of that weight up front to see if I can get the bow up a little more. I also noticed a plug that is ty strapped to one of the aereator pump hoses in the rear. Anyone know what is it for? Thanks for any input!

just curious if the water drains out of the livewell when your on plane, have you ever checked? i would think you can get a check valve or some sort of one way valve to prevent the back flow from the overflow drain. we have several 911 owners on here im sure someone will help you out. as far as the plug tied to the hose it is prolly just a spare bilge plug. i keep a spare ignition key in the same fashion.

If that livewell has "switches" I would play around with the switches. I found the switches on my Nitro and the manual's instructions slightly counter-intuitive [read that as they didn't make sense]. After trial and error, I was able to figure out the correct setting to keep the livewell dry.

1999 was the first year for the 911CDC. I had a couple of them (4 to be exact).....must be a typo.

As for the front livewell you are correct. I will fill up on its own because of the overflow. the bottom of the livewell is below the waters surface when the boat is at rest. There is a plug (it came with my 2000 911CDC) that will fit the overflow in the livewell itself.

I HIGHLY recommend that you either use the plug, or close the livewell off completely (In case of some failure). The boat can and will fill up if that hose breaks. I think Nitro did away with the front livewell in 2002 and turned it into a cooler because of this concern.

I really used to like using that livewell especially while crappie fishing. I can remember one time Mac and I had to pump water out of the livewell to put more fish in :)

Do you have the transom vent installed? This allowed the vacuum that is created while getting on plane to be releived for a faster hole shot. Makes all the difference in the world.

What prop are you running? Bow lift wasnt that big of a deal on any of mine once it got on plane. And I carried WAY too much stuff in that boat!

go to www.mcmaster.com

in the search box: 9277K49 or 2605K16

Any of these should work for a stop gap measure.

I used a PVC cap to block the entry to this from the outside - and I blocked the internal with the plug that Mini mentioned.

nothing will kill the hole shot quicker than 240# of water in the fron middle of the boat.

even worse if the air lines arent connected to the back of the pump lines - cause that means they'll leak back into the bilge - nice surprise that one was!

So, I capped all of the incoming lines with PVC caps and found the drain lines (they are t-d to the other pump out lines at the back of the boat) and unhooked those as well. (If you don't, then you;ll have water enter the front livewell anytime you pump out the rear livewells). Now my front livewell is a trash can.

Nice bit of work that was.... my only true complaint about the 911 - other than the cooler wont hold ice for more than about 4 hours during the summer.

The 1991 is a typo. That's the year model of my old boat. It's a 2001. Sorry about that. I think some of the water will drain out of the hose a little, but not drain the livewell when on plane because the overflow hose is at the top of the live well. I know what you are talking about MINI, I had a front livewell drain hose elbow break off on the last boat that I just sold and it did start filling the hull up with water. I go lucky and was able to get the boat on plane and get it back on the trailer before it sank. I was about two miles from the ramp on the other side of the lake from the ramp when that happened. Talk about a close call! God was riding with me on that adventure! Yes, I looked in the McMaster catalog today and saw that they had the big plugs. I will order one and block it off. Yes, I have the transom vent and am running the 25P 3 blade Merk Tempest Prop. I will lighten up the front a little and move some load around to see how it acts. Thanks for all the info!

No prob. CR....enjoy that rig. It was one of my favorites!

Latest posts

Back