Gear Ratio question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
Looking at a Dodge Ram and see there is a choice of gear ratio's. 3.55 and 3.92. More towing capability with the 3.92 gears. Anyone ever make the decision to go with the higher gears when buying a truck? Is there mileage difference that really makes a difference? thanks, Sean

Fairly significant difference in the Fords with the 5.4. I have the 3.55 w/5.4 and have always been happy/ Tow a 19' Tracker deepV aluminum w/115 and 15hp kicker. Very heavy boat.

On my 3/4 ton chebby 6.0, crew cab, I got 4.10 gears, 4wd and a locking rear diff. I don't worry about traction or towing:lol: I actually get 14+ empty highway and around 12 towing. I towed my 929 and Carlos' Z520. I used to cuss the MPG until one trip back from Florida, I hit the East Coast Snowmageddon and traveled the last 200 miles going around cars stuck in the middle of interstate 95. I ended up driving on the shoulder pushing snow most of the way. Got to my street and actually went through drifts that were over the grille. I will never complain about MPG with my truck again. It saved my rear.:) :)

3.92 is perfect for hauling....you might squeeze a few MPG out of a 3.55 but, then again you aren't buying it for MPG;)

I have the same truck as Toxic and I tow a heavy Nitro 911 with it. There are some steep grades on the way to my closest big lake and those 4:10's climb without losing speed for the most part. Plus the mileage isn't much different wether towing or not. Couple things to consider

Latest posts

Back