steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Brought my TV-18 home today. Removed the charger that came with the boat and installed a new 3 bank. Pretty tight in that battery box, manufacturer recommended 8 inch clearance on all 3 sides, afraid it did'nt work out that way after I installed the 2nd battery in the box. Should I be worried.

I have to angle the boat to get it into the garage. While doing this I discovered that I can't move the outboard back and forth by hand (push it from one side to the other). It does'nt budge. Doing it by the steering wheel seems fine though. Was wondering if this is a problem that should be looked in to ? I was able to easily move the motor back and forth on my old rig (same motor, took it off the broken TV-18, and put it on the new one).

Smitty,

I have the same concern about the charger. Remember the pic I showed you at BASS U? I think I'll just leave the compartments onpen when I charge.

I never noticed if I can move my motor or not. I'm guessing I can't because I never have problems with my motor turning sideways when I trailer it.

Marke

I believe that it's because of the anti feedback steering. From what my mechanic said, with no feedback steering systems, you shouldn't be able to move the motor by hand.

Bill is correct. Leave a compartment open to aid in air flow. I have seen and done installs with less clearance than 8" with out problems.

Mini

Smitty-

I must not have the 'no feedback' steering on my TV-18...

I can push the motor and the steering wheel turns...very easily, I might add...so easy, in fact, that I have to put a bungee cord on the steering wheel when I'm trailering to keep the motor straight...

az

Thanks fellas, Appreciate the feedback. By the way AndyZ, if you get yourself a Shock-Eez transom saver with the large cradle for the lower unit, you can get rid of your bungee cord. Bought one last year for my old set up because I had the same problem. The lower unit sits so deep in the Shock-Eez cradle that it prevents it from turning while trailering. Keep your old transom saver for a spare.

I don't recall what I payed for it last year, but BPS has them on the web site for 34.99, item #38-547-274-00. It's the spring loaded one, absorbs shock when your goin over bumps. Thats what they claim anyways. It's pretty heavy duty and alot nicer than the one that you get with the boat.

I just purchased a shock eze from BPS and am looking forward to using it tomorrow. I'll let you know if motor turning stops. Looks like this will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back