NJ To Stop Trout Stocking

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
FYI - NJ fisherman

Jersey is ending a cherished tradition for fishermen: After 125 years, it will stop stocking seven big lakes with prized trout next year.

The move comes because fewer people are buying fishing licenses. State officials say they plan to take the trout to smaller lakes and rivers in urban areas that might attract new anglers to the sport.

That is not sitting well with longtime fishermen.

"I grew up on Lake Hopatcong. I learned to hold a fishing pole there, fishing for trout," XXX XXXXX, who lives on the lake, told The Star-ledger of Newark for Thursday's newspapers. "Now I'm 41, with a family of three children. I want my children to have the same memories there, but they won't if this goes through."

In addition to Lake Hopatcong, the other lakes that won't be stocked after this spring are Mountain Lake in Warren County, Spruce Run Reservoir in Hunterdon County, the Manasquan Reservoir in Monmouth County, the Canistear Reservoir and Pompton Lake in Passaic County, and Cranberry Lake in Sussex County.

Chris,

This is also going to put lots of pressure on other trout stocked lakes. All the people going to these waters, especially on opening day, will have to go somewhere else and it will make those already overcrowded lakes worse.

Leave it to NJ!

I have to disagree Mike. With the exception of Hopatcong and maybe Canistear none of the lakes mentioned get a great deal of pressure from trout fisherman . Spruce Run had a great brown trout fisheries back in the 70

So they plan to stock the Passaic river south of Route 3? Not exactly Oxygen rich waters.

I can't see those fish doing all that well in the Passaic either. But, Tom is also right, I haven't heard of very many people fishing some of those lakes for trout. Hopefully, in the end some good will come out of this.

Adam

Guys

I think that the reason the state gave for stocking places like the Passaic river and other marginal trout habitat lakes and rivers was to attract more young fisherman . Kids and some adults to don

Tom , I fish a lot of the smaller lakes and ponds in central jersey and do see lots of illegall fish in the 'bucket'. I also do make a comment when I see it, but most of the time they don't care, and others claim to just not have known and release the fish.

The Assunpink Lakes to get well patrolled though, but for the amount of time I spend on other waters it just seems like no enforcement.

Tom,

That is definately one of my pet peeves too. Granted I'm only 22, and haven't been fishing as long as some people, I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have been asked to see my license. Actually, probably each time it was at Monksville, forget about Pompton Lakes. I see your point though about stocking fish where people can get to them easier. Certain areas of the Passaic are supposed to be good for bass and pickeral.

Adam

Okay Tom, I see your point, I guess that's what got me into fishing as well, growing up in Hudson County, I used to walk or ride my bike to Huson County Park for trout fishing in April. I'm not one way or another at this point, it just seemed to me another politician making decisions that they have noe idea about.

The knee deep club in hopatcong stocks trout in hopatcong anyway.

One way it does impact me is Oxford & Mtn Lake are open during pre-season stocking, so that means more bass fisherman in my favorite spots! LOL

Come to Missouri, Chris!

I'll take you on some of the best trout fishing you've ever done!

Maybe one day, I could. I usually just use my fly-rod for Trout, maybe a small Rapala :).

Love Dry fly & Mickey Finns, not a big fan of the wet fly.

I don;t use tippets either, just tie my fly directly to leader material.

I grew up on Lake Hopatcong and fished it for 20 years, including ice fishing each January. I never found it to be a great trout lake and always went to the local streams and rivers in Northwest Jersey to fish for trout. Opening day was always a "special" day with the governor fishing with other trout fisherman in a large circle. It was always a joke to see the picture in the paper but it was nice to know that the governor was behind the fishermen in those days (1950s - mid 60s).

Hopatcong was a great lake for bass and pickerel but never really known for trout (IMHO). Musconetcong held lots of small pickerel but was never the powerhouse that Hopatcong was.

I left the area in 1967 and moved South for my military duty and decided to stay in Virginia. I never missed going back to Jersey as it became a major bedroom community of NYC. But even here the "pleasure" boaters have pretty well ruined it for the die-hard fisherman in the summer.

Always enjoyed fishing the lake, particulary in the winter but it isn't the same anymore. But then again, nothing ever is when you get older.

Sorry for the lamenting but it brought back good memories of many days spent with my Dad fishing the area.

Latest posts

Back