Hello From Upstate N.y. Funny Summer Here Is New York....rain, Rain, And More Rain

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Mariano

Reaction score
My question to the forum is about my 2003 Tracker Avalanche DC. I have read many posts already and have received a load of information already. Great Posts mean similarly shared problems or concerns with the boat.
My Tracker is a great boat. I love it, but I don't like the steering (non-Hydraulic) and the 115 HP Mercury four stroke EFI. I know realize that this rig is WAY under powered for my purposes. I would very much like some ideas on how I can RELATIVELY reduce the cost while improving these two problems. I know upgrading to a 135 or 150 HP is no cheap matter, nor is Hydraulic steering inexpensive. What would you do, if money was not prohibitive? Another prop at a different pitch? My vengeance prop is 19 degrees. A stabilizer? A jack plate? Thanks for any and all your suggestions.

Are you getting close to redline RPM with the existing prop?

1) Cheapest solution: Make sure the running surface of the boat and motor are as clean and smooth as possible. Prop, too, if its dinged or scarred.

2) Next cheapest solution: Get a four blade prop that lets you run close to the RPM redline. Aluminum or stainless. Either will work. I've stated this before on the site: You loose a little top end, but a four blade makes a boat feel quicker because of how much better it launches and accelerates. Handles better, too. It doesn't substitute for hydraulic boosted steering, bit it will handle more evenly.

Back