Fuel Pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
While on my last fishing trip the old mercury was giving me problems and would not run for more than a few minutes and would not get on plane at all. Would only idle.

Brought to local mechanic at the lake I was fishing since it was away from home and he diagnosed it as the high pressure fuel pump.

The part number for it was 855843-2 was the part number on the original fuel pump, but the merc OEM replacement pump is 12-8M0047624 : PUMP ASSY-FUEL. Picture of part is below.

I am going to be changing this part out myself and wanted to get everyone's opinion on the complexity of the project. I got the part in the mail yesterday and it looks fairly simple. Anything I should watch out for during the job?

Jordan

photo.JPG

It's fairly straightforward. Be sure NOT to use any teflon tape {a no-no on any fuel system components}, but instead "perfect seal", made by Merc. Be sure to pressurize system before launching a couple of times to insure NO LEAKS. Make sure plug is clean with a dab of dielectric grease. Not too much, just a coating. ;)

Does anyone have any idea where I can get "perfect seal"? I can find it online, but wanted to go get some tonight so I can work on the boat tomorrow and chance the fuel pump. Do any stores sell it? Bass Pro?

Jordan

Back