ZV19 trailer steps are useless

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing Fool

Reaction score
Hello all
New member and first post here. I have a 2019 ZV19 And I'm wondering if anyone has trouble using thier trailer steps that come on the ZV19? My Ultera trolling motor sticks out far enough that it gets in the way when you try to climb up the steps. I'm looking for a work around without having to ditch the factory steps and but new aftermarket. Anyone? Any thoughts?

The steps on my Z19 Sport are the same. They work great when I take off the trolling motor. I’m surprised we haven’t skinned a shin yet.

I don't think so due to the jack and you'd have to then step over the trolling motor. I may have to buy aftermarket steps which is a shame that Nitro didn't anticipate a trolling motor since almost everyone has a trolling motor.

I wouldn't say useless but certainly imperfect. It does take some effort to get around the trolling motor. I have an Ulterra and could in theory leave it tipped and trimmed up and it might help just a little bit. You can't change sides because the steps would go the wrong direction, down under the bow. I have often thought that they have this set up backwards. Same thing for the swim ladder and kicker location. Why have the heavy kicker on the same side as the driver? With one person in the boat all the weight is on one side.

Could be that the people designing these boats are not fishermen or are not talking with fishermen over the boat set up. Kind of like the 2021 Z19 Sport having a rod locker on a bass boat that you couldn't put 7ft rod in. Even though there is room for a rod that long.

I wouldn't say useless but certainly imperfect. It does take some effort to get around the trolling motor. I have an Ulterra and could in theory leave it tipped and trimmed up and it might help just a little bit. You can't change sides because the steps would go the wrong direction, down under the bow. I have often thought that they have this set up backwards. Same thing for the swim ladder and kicker location. Why have the heavy kicker on the same side as the driver? With one person in the boat all the weight is on one side.
All steps are designed to go from the boat toward the tongue so you can get down to the winch if needed. The problem is that Nitro took the cheaper route and made the first (lowest) step is just a plate welded to the tongue. The second step is just a plate attached to the winch post and then finally there is an actual step with a grab handle. I’ve attached a few photos and of course the tongue is folded in the photos)
I may just have to break down and buy an aftermarket set but it’s just a shame to have to do that because Nitro didn’t think this thing through.
as for the kicker I totally agree and paid extra to have the swim ladder relocated and kicker mounted on the port side away from the driver.

Attachments

• 47255379-89FD-4B91-9843-CA6ECD0A5D13.jpeg
    47255379-89FD-4B91-9843-CA6ECD0A5D13.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 5C821967-C9BE-49BF-BE0A-3173BF4ADAF9.jpeg
    5C821967-C9BE-49BF-BE0A-3173BF4ADAF9.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5953A604-74D1-43EA-A801-575328B235D9.jpeg
    5953A604-74D1-43EA-A801-575328B235D9.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 18
I just have the one step plate on the trailer frame. One more off set step would make it easier to climb into the boat. At 70 it’s getting a little harder to climb over the bow.

Latest posts

Back