Zv18 - Listing Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like anyone with a Nitro ZV18 and a kicker to respond or comment to the following issue. I fully realize that I should contact my dealer and/or Nitro (a process that I have started) but wonder if anyone has had the following problem.

Before answering, know that the issue I have is both at speed and at rest. I am not a boat expert, but this ZV18 is my third boat but first glass boat. In addition, the is the largest beam on a boat I have every had. The problem I describe I have never seen before in ANY boat I have every been in, mine or others.

Short version is this, my boat lists to the right (starboard) a lot. I have about 5 hours in the thing but the problem was noticeable instantly. I thought it might be better at speed but its the same.

How much in degrees? I am not sure. The torpedo level I put on the console maxed out (see pic). I will say this. To get the level to "read level" with the boat at rest I have to do the following. Have wife on the port side, have me on the port side, put a marine battery on port side. In other words, I have to put 375 lbs of weight on the port side of the boat to have it sit level in the water.

Now, Nitro mounts the 9.9 kicker on the starboard side of the boat, but you would think they design for this. No one ever suggested to me that I needed trim tabs just to have a stock boat run right but maybe that's the problem (although that does not help much at rest).

Comments welcome!

picture_1.jpg

Can u move kicker to the port side, as well as batteries? My boat has both trolling motor batteries on port side. I don't think that is 375 pounds but is a start in the right direction. Possibly any heavy equipment as well.

Mike, that's part of the problem, the short answer to your comments is no, you can't move stuff. The batteries are all in a center compartment with no place to move. The kicker is factory installed with a large bracket into the glass hull. I attach a couple pictures for reference.

Sad thing is that I phoned Nitro before ordered my boat and they said that they do not (will not) install the kicker on the port side.

James2.JPG IMG_1246.JPG

I see what u are talking about. I like that 200 on the back your boat. Trim tabs is another option but thats a band aid not a fix. Something needs to be changed and TRACKER/ NITRO needs to step up.

I would like anyone with a Nitro ZV18 and a kicker to respond or comment to the following issue. I fully realize that I should contact my dealer and/or Nitro (a process that I have started) but wonder if anyone has had the following problem.

Before answering, know that the issue I have is both at speed and at rest. I am not a boat expert, but this ZV18 is my third boat but first glass boat. In addition, the is the largest beam on a boat I have every had. The problem I describe I have never seen before in ANY boat I have every been in, mine or others.

Short version is this, my boat lists to the right (starboard) a lot. I have about 5 hours in the thing but the problem was noticeable instantly. I thought it might be better at speed but its the same.

How much in degrees? I am not sure. The torpedo level I put on the console maxed out (see pic). I will say this. To get the level to "read level" with the boat at rest I have to do the following. Have wife on the port side, have me on the port side, put a marine battery on port side. In other words, I have to put 375 lbs of weight on the port side of the boat to have it sit level in the water.

Now, Nitro mounts the 9.9 kicker on the starboard side of the boat, but you would think they design for this. No one ever suggested to me that I needed trim tabs just to have a stock boat run right but maybe that's the problem (although that does not help much at rest).

Comments welcome!

View attachment 780
Hi, ya, 2017 zv18 Pro version so it came with everything. The boat lists to the right with just me in it, well actually a bit to the right with no one in it. Also figured it’s the kicker (and extra shifter assembly, steering wheel assembly, power steering etc, all on the driver side. Going to relocate the starting battery to the back left side just behind the removable tackle box, battery cables (8’) and new agm31 battery tray on order, will let you know how much it helps.

Hi, ya, 2017 zv18 Pro version so it came with everything. The boat lists to the right with just me in it, well actually a bit to the right with no one in it. Also figured it’s the kicker (and extra shifter assembly, steering wheel assembly, power steering etc, all on the driver side. Going to relocate the starting battery to the back left side just behind the removable tackle box, battery cables (8’) and new agm31 battery tray on order, will let you know how much it helps.

CM17, I have sent you a couple private messages. Give me a call if you get a chance please.

Hi, sorry for horribly late reply! I did not see private messages? So as for my battery relocate, I did it with professional materials and it turned out great. The driver side list is about 50-60% better (still noticeable) but better. If it bothered me that bad I guess the next thing to do would be to add a set of the smart tabs (the spring loaded ones) and set the driver side one down one notch more then the other. That won’t help idling along but would under any real power.

Hi, sorry for horribly late reply! I did not see private messages? So as for my battery relocate, I did it with professional materials and it turned out great. The driver side list is about 50-60% better (still noticeable) but better. If it bothered me that bad I guess the next thing to do would be to add a set of the smart tabs (the spring loaded ones) and set the driver side one down one notch more then the other. That won’t help idling along but would under any real power.

One last thing, I had no issue relocating the starter battery to the back left corner just behind the tackle box storage bin (pull the bin out and you will see where it can go nicely). I purchased two new pre-made heavy gage battery cables from amazon for about $25 and swapped them with the shorter factory ones. Like I said, easy and professional, even the factory installed charger has enough extra cable to reach the new spot.

Thanks for the update. A couple questions and comments:
  1. Question - Forgive my ignorance but what is the correct type of screw (or what did you use) to secure the battery holder into the fiberglass. The only reason I ask is I have never screwed something into fiberglass and what do do it right.
  2. I will for sure look at this solution in the spring. The location you mention is where my extra weight is currently placed. Maybe I and move the battery as well and remove some or all of the weight.
  3. I will send you another private message. Look in the very very upper right corner of this forum and you should see an "Inbox" icon. That should lead you to private messages.

Latest posts

Back