Z8 current setup and observations - thoughts?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
I have a new Z8 with a 250 Pro XS - I can tell the boat has the potential to be screaming fast, but currently I'm getting poor hole shot, and chine walk around 72 MPH (haven't had a chance to get the rhythm down on this boat yet). I checked my current setup... and things don't add up for me, so I'm hoping for a little help. Everything I've read suggests that the motor should be 2 1/2" below pad - I measured from pad to center of intake holes on front of nose and it was 3 1/4". Trailer was leveled, motor was leveled and this was the reading i ended up with. I'm also rigged with a 26P fury with no PVS plugs in it. Tracker told me the boat needs the medium plugs, which I would think would adversely affect hole shot, as would raising the motor from 3 1/4" below pad to 2 1/2" below pad - but this is my first experience with a stepped pad so maybe the prop is getting NO air as it is too low. Also, wouldn't RAISING the motor 3/4" make chine walk worse?? Thoughts? Help? Please?

Dave, I don't have a Z-8 but 2 of my buddies do and I just went Thursday and we put a brand new one in the water. It has a 225 XS with a 25Fury no plugs in.It came up great and ran awesome. We didn't run it out because it is on break in.I'll ckeck on the motor height and get back to you.

Dave, Just talked to my buddy with the Z-8 and 225XS. He is 4 inches below the keel with the center of the prop shaft. Runs great,good holeshot no chine walk and 74-75 GPS. Hope that helps.

I also have same boat/motor w/ 26p fury w/ no plugs. When I have a 1/2 tank gas and full livewells I can barely get on plane , like make my partner get on the front deck bad. Im trying to find someone to take a look at the setup because something is def. not right. And same thing with the chine walk at about 72mph. You can tell that w/ the right setup the boat will be a rocket.

I have a 2008 Z7 I took my boat in to have a light fixed about two months after I purchased it.The dealer I bought it from had two shops so I took it to the closer one which is not where I bought it.The dealer walked around the boat and then asked me why I changed the prop.I told him that I did not change it and it was the one that came with my motor.He told me it was the wrong prop and that I was probably having a hard time getting out of the hole and probaly not getting full top end speed,which was correct top end was about 58. So he said he would replace the prop with the correct one.Now I get out of the hole with no problem at all and my top end speed has increased to 70. So the prop may be a place to start looking.If the dealer didn't tell me that it was the wrong prop I would have never known it.

Latest posts

Back