z7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken driska

Reaction score
Will the 2014 Z7 have a highe HP limit like other 18' boats ? If no, please explain if someone can ? I talked to a guy at Phoenix about an 18' boat. He told me their max HP was determined by the type of motor. I'm assuming what he means is motors weigh different than others. and that's what coast guard plate they put on the boat. so if nitro can only put a 150 on the Z7 I take that as their transom isn't as strong as other manufacturers like ranger 518, triton 18xs, skeeter zx 190.

maybe someone can clear this up for me ???

thanks

The z7 used to come with a 200 hp motor as an option but a couple of years ago they stopped offering it. Maybe they are trying to get more people to buy the z8.

I am going to buy a new boat for the 2014 season, I already have a Nitro that I am very happy with but I want to go bigger, if the 2014 z7 doesnt have a higher horse power option i may go with a different manufacturer . The z8 is nice but I would like to have an 18 or 19 ft. boat with a 200

I have a Z7 with a 150 HP and questioned this before I bought the boat. My understanding is that a manufacturer can rate a boat at or below what the Coast Guard determines is safe for the boat. I believe rating the Z7 for 150 instead of 200 is mainly a marketing thing, as BPS wants to sell more of their bigger more expensive boats (those that want a 200+ will need to buy a Z8). I would be willing to bet the Z7's transom is just as strong as any of the others you mentioned.

I do find that the 150 is plenty of power for the Z7. It has a great hole shot and gets on plane really quick, and top end is around 60 mpg GPS.

Mike

I wonder how many people buy the Z8 because of the max 150 on Z7. if someone wants an 18.5' boat with a bigger motor they probly go buy another brand.

I spoke to a Nitro dealer recently who told me the 2014 z series from Nitro would be redesigned but he didnt have any details other than a 2-4 percent price increase, He also said you should be able to pick up a leftover 2013 for a real good price once the new model is released

I wouldn't touch a Z8 without a 225. Also, just because they don't "offer" it doesn't mean they can't order and rig it. There are different plates they can put on the boat. If the older 7's were rated for a 200 then the new ones can hold that motor.

I've talked to a few dealers. they won't do it, that's the motor it comes with. the plate on the boat says max 150, but they put whatever plate they want to on it. a 200 on Z8 would be underpowered. they u have

to but a 225 $$&

I have a 2010 Z7 with a 200 pro xs and LOVE it. there is no "weaker transom" issue. It is a sweet boat with a 200. All I have heard is that the Z7 with a 200 was selling so well they thought that by reducing the HP to 150 more buyer wanting more HP would opt for a z8. Not sure the accuracy, but this is the rumor.

I've talked to a couple of people, dealers and bass pro about the 200HP on the Z7. From what I was told by these multiple people was that back when you could get a 200 on a Z7, Mr. Johnny Morris took a ride in it and said it was way to much power for an 18' boat. Apparently the Z7 was cruising up in the 70mph rage with the 200. I'm sure dchance can back that up. Not for sure if it's true, this is just what I was told by several people. I wish my Z7 had a 200 on it.

The 2014 Z7 is optional with 175hp, straight form the Nitro web site http://www.nitro.com/boat/motors.cfm?boat=3608
If you want a 200hp, I would suggest you rock on up to a reputable Nitro dealer with $30k in freshly printed green stuff, ask them to order it and if they can't or won't and that's the sole driver for your boat choice, be prepared to walk away and order another brand.

Oh and by the way, here's the text from Tracker about the Z7 "Engine options other than the ones shown here may be available for this boat. Additional charges apply for engine changes requested on boats purchased from dealer stock" See your dealer for details.

I have verified (not on a NITRO) that the manufacturer can put any motor on a boat that does not "Exceed" the USCG rating. They choose the hp they want. The real reason (like has been said) is to get the consumer to step up to a more expensive package or step up the boat size. Ranger does it just like NITRO.

Will the 2014 Z7 have a highe HP limit like other 18' boats ? If no, please explain if someone can ? I talked to a guy at Phoenix about an 18' boat. He told me their max HP was determined by the type of motor. I'm assuming what he means is motors weigh different than others. and that's what coast guard plate they put on the boat. so if nitro can only put a 150 on the Z7 I take that as their transom isn't as strong as other manufacturers like ranger 518, triton 18xs, skeeter zx 190.

maybe someone can clear this up for me ???

thanks
Hi Guys, I'm just new to this site but I can tell you that I just bought a new Z7 this week and it came with a 175 HP. Mercury Optimax.

Latest posts

Back