Z7 tied to dock

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Brock

Reaction score
Hi gang. I have been a long time boater and fisherman and have owned aluminum and fiberglass boats. I'm looking at ordering a 2014 z7. My question is what r your thoughts of leaving a z7 tied up to my dock for most of the season. I have had no issues with deeper vee hulls tied up but wondering about a bass boat. I always run 2 bilge auto pumps. Any input would be appreciated.

welcome to the forum. Since you didn't say WHERE you were docking it at, the natural thinking is dock bumpers for pontoons that are kinda flatish and can fold over on top edge of the boat might be in order OR use those whip type dock systems that keeps waves from rocking it up against the dock.

welcome to the forum. Since you didn't say WHERE you were docking it at, the natural thinking is dock bumpers for pontoons that are kinda flatish and can fold over on top edge of the boat might be in order OR use those whip type dock systems that keeps waves from rocking it up against the dock.
Thanks for the info. I have whips and rub rail on dock. I would use good size bumpers as well. More concerned with waves but I would have 2 auto pumps and a cover. I'm in the kawarthas in Ontario. Do u think that the watched cover that Nitro sells would secure tight enough while docked? I haven't seen the cover yet. I may have to get something made. Cheers

Can't really say, I haven't put my Tracker cover on yet, still fishing with it on the Louisiana marsh/coastal areas. (although I live in TN). I have a covered slip down in Alabama and a canopy tent at home. Most of those covers are made to secure either to the trailer or draws up at the back of the motor, but if you plan carefully, it can be covered. Now are you intending to leave that in the water during the winter freeze?? I bring mine home to cover (for about 2-3 months) before I go out fishing again. Maybe some of these guys with Nitro's can comment as my Nitro I have for sale is much older than yours and the cover secures to the trailer.

Hi. I use my camp from April till Oct then I close it up for winter. It will b stored inside for the winter months. Which bass boat do u run? Cheers

A good fitting cover helps, as does a coat of wax on the exposed hull sides (for the UV protection). It's still hard on the boat, but if it's worth the convenience, do it. Down here in the southern U.S. any exposed gel coat takes a beating over time, but I can't imagine that Ontario sun is too strong.

You might want to look into a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off.

The Nitro cover fits very tight and would be fine for keeping the weather off it. The problem is it fits around the back end and would be in or close enough to the water to stay wet most of the time.

I wouldn't do it for an extended period of time. If your going to be at the cottage for a few days then yes leave it there. But if your going to be gone or bad weather comes I wound't want the waves and anything else pounding a nice new boat.

Boats do a lot better inside. Everything weathers, even things made for the outdoors....Sun, rain, hot, cold, insects, bacteria in water, algae, mold, stain, you name it. But inconvenience does count too.

Some of us have no choice and although I fish year round, the sun will ravage gel as Rich stated. I am anal about how my boat looks and I can tell you it can be done but it is a pain. Always keep a coating of good uv wax on it, clean it with a spray wax detailer everytime it comes out of the water (Bass Boat Saver, LUCAS Slick Mist, Wax As U Dry, etc.). You have to keep the sun off..period. What I did was take my old cover and cut it to fit the fenders and used the nose as a second layer for the TM. I have a new Ranger cover that keeps it bone dry and to help with condensation, I put a small fan under the cover and if I have fished in the rain, I open the hatch doors about 1 inch. About every third trip I use 303 on the seats and tires. So far so good and my gel and carpet looks brand new.

IMG-20130721-00177.jpg

A good fitting cover helps, as does a coat of wax on the exposed hull sides (for the UV protection). It's still hard on the boat, but if it's worth the convenience, do it. Down here in the southern U.S. any exposed gel coat takes a beating over time, but I can't imagine that Ontario sun is too strong.

You might want to look into a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off.
I have been searching for convenient and continue charging system and I thinks solar power is best suited for it..

Latest posts

Back